Caribbean - Cuba Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Cuba
Strawberry7,

I've commented on your flight over on the Thomson Airways topic. In terms of hotel, it's the Parasisus Rio De Oro every time for me. It's probably the best hotel I've ever stayed at, and certainly the best in Cuba. Esmarelda beach is a little exposed and the sea can get a little rough, but that's true for most of the Atlantic coast of the Caribbean region. It's a white coral sand beach that shelves gently although you do get out of your depth within a short distance. The snorkeling around the rocks to the right is excellent though. The diving is a little basic on the wall, but still plenty to see. It' a while since I was last there, but you get nice sunsets on the horizon. If you like sea food, you won't go wrong at the PRDO. Most days there were full lobsters, oysters, king prawns, salmon plus many others. Food was way above average. The waiters would always notice and bring you a finger bowl. They were very switched on. There's 5 star hotels, then there's the PDRO! It's quite a way from Guardalavaca to Havana and involves a flight. It's too far to drive. That's why the second time I went to Cuba, we stayed in Varadero that's much closer. They normally use the Cuban airline Aerogaviota who use modern ATR 42's.

Darren
Hi Darren,

Gosh, the PRDO sounds heavenly! That's definitely made my mind up!

Are there any specific rooms you'd recommend booking?

Thank you again. You're so helpful!

Strawberry
Strawberry7,

All rooms are junior suites and much of a muchness really so I wouldn't say any room is better than another unless you want one closer to the pool, lobby etc. They are arranged in 2 story buildings with about8 suites in each so they aren't crowded and set over a large area. I'm sure you'll love it and I've been told it's better now than when I was last their!

Darren
Hi Darren,

Oh, it sounds absolutely fantastic! I had another look at the website and I see what you mean about the accommodation - they are all very similar - so it won't matter which room we're allocated. They all look totally gorgeous - and I want to go today!

I do have one concern about the flight, though. I've only ever flown schedule on long haul, so I'm concerned about the seat comfort on charter. I've posted that on the flight forum, anyway.

Thanks again, Darren!

Strawberry
Hi
we are off to PDRO on sunday flying premium with thomsons. All packed and ready to go, will write a review on our return
happy days lolly :sun2 :sun2
Hi,

Did you ever book the trip to Cuba? My partner and I went last year and loved it. We stayed at SRLM and it was lovely, although we met some people who stayed at PRDO and they said that their rooms and the food was amazing, but I think PRDO is more expensive.

We also upgraded our flights and I think it was worth every penny. We're are off to Dominican in a few weeks and we have upgraded our flights for that too. If you like to have a drink on the plane and appreciate a larger seat pitch, then I think it's worth it.
We also went to PRDO last year and thought it was just ok.Wasnt a patch on Riu Palace Mexico in every which way. Didn't like the main buffet with the birds (big problem) liked the restaurant on the beach for lunches. Still had a good holiday but woudn't go back ............this is just my opinion - going back to Mex in April.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.