Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Welcome to HT Jen :tup

4 business class seats for your dates cost £10 000. You won't get them. They have offered a fair deal I think but this may be a chance to cancel altogether which you should have been offered.
Were you set on that particular hotel? I am horrified by what you are paying. Try going to BA and looking for flight plus accomodation prices.
Even the Ritz Carlton Central Park costs £1200 less. Somewhere like the Sofitel is £5800 and both are way ahead of the hotel( in ratings) you were wanting.
Of course that was just a quick search - so there will be other options. Just think how much spare money you would have to spend shopping :)
jen2205 wrote:

Weve been to Citizens Advice and Trading Standards.

Thanks.

Hi and welcome to HT!

What did CAB and TS say?
Its not the point of the price its the whole point of them breaching their contract and wont stand good for it. CAB told us to write a letter to them which weve done and TS says that we would still get our money back and we would just be disappointed so we dont really have a point.

I would be arguing this point with whatever class, flight, accommodation the fact is they have breached their contract.
Jen
I had the same view as TS. I gave prices for you just incase you had only gone with what thomsons said. It was meant to be helpful
No no I appreciate its just very frustrating. The whole point of this holiday was to go pver for a family wedding. Flying economy doesnt faze me its just the mis-selling thats annoying. Thanks
Have to say that both Hayes and Jarves and Thomsons have let you down. The people dealing with it should have realised that the price given for business and hotel was just not realistic.
If you go ahead with the flights, make sure you apply for a BA card so that you keep the avios miles.
Yea I already have my BA Executive card - was looking forward to all though extra miles. Will just have to wait and see what happens. Thanks
Whilst I understand your frustration, you originally wanted "Premium" seats and were prepared to pay? - and I think that £400pp for pemium return seats is reasonable?

ATB,J.
I wouldnt pay that for premium cause i know i can get it cheaper direct with ba. My whole point is we were sold business, i paid for business, our confirmation says business yet they booked premium.
The price you were quoted at the travel agents - does that equate to the price for Premium?
Were you aware of the costs that Business would have been far in excess of what you were quoted?

It sounds to me like you did realise the cost quoted was incorrect at the time but even so, if the print out showed you were to receive Business Class and if that's how the seats showed in the Thomson reservation system then they should honour it.
Thats what they would charge. I know the price of business and i know it sounds way to good to be true but thats what they told us and i trusted what they said. I know business should be an extra £1600 each not £400.
I don't understand your argument then as you knew they were making a mistake at the time you booked and were just trying to take advantage of it.
If Thomsons spoke to Hayes and Jarvis, and Hayes and Jarvis confirmed several times that they were business class flights, then Thomsons haven't messed up. Hayes and Jarvis have. It sounds like Thomsons (who aren't 'proper' travel agents) sold you those flights at that price in good faith. Was the whole trip booked via H&J? If so, what does their confirmation paperwork say?

I'm confused by
<We mentioned that if for whatever reason the price of the flights were wrong what would happen. We were told that the telephone conversation between Thomson and Hayes and Jarvis was recorded and if anything was to happen Thomson would have to stand good for it. >

Thomsons are only the agent, Hayes and Jarvis gave them the info, so Thomsons would haven't to stand for it, Hayes and Jarvis would (especially if the conversation was recorded).

That apart, you obviously knew the price was wrong, or you wouldn't have asked the question in the first place, so why go ahead and book it? At that point I'd have walked away, checked the prices on BA and then spoken to H&J myself and if they quoted me the same price I would have pointed out to them that they were incorrect. Better to get it right in the first place, than book knowing it's wrong, and hoping to get away with it IMO.
Cyprus100, Doe and Sunaddict make the point that I was trying to... only better!!

ATB,J.
I tend to agree with Jen2205. Even though she thought it was a mistake she did query the price and it was confirmed to her several times as being correct and got the paperwork to prove it.

If she had been looking to take advantage of something she knew was a mistake then she would have said noting and let them book it.

However even though this was a mistake the agent has to carry out their job with reasonable care and skill. It is not up to you to know what's cheap and what's expensive. Alarm bells should have been ringing in both Thomson's and Hays and Jarvis that a business class ticket would never be that cheap. They clearly were both at fault. It is not the OP's fault this happened. She was offered and she booked.

I think you should look at the article below, quite a similar situation and would possibly give you some leverage whilst arguing with them:

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2013/01/04/42703/mistake-in-cruise-booking-costs-thomas-cook-dear.html

Make sure and keep us updated!

oh, and Happy New Year to everyone! :cheers

Allymc316
Just for interest - Hayes and Jarvis company is actually Thomsons under another name.
It is just another name for Thomson Worldwide holidays.
So Thomson blaming H&J doesn't work. It is still the Thomson empire.
ukbill wrote:
Just for interest - Hayes and Jarvis company is actually Thomsons under another name.
It is just another name for Thomson Worldwide holidays.
So Thomson blaming H&J doesn't work. It is still the Thomson empire.

It's the TUI empire, not Thomsons. Thomsons and Hayes and Jarvis are two different companies.
"Thomsons and Hayes and Jarvis are two different companies." ???
Not really...just different divisions of exactly the same company.
Thomson is part of TUI.
H&J is part of TUI.
And on the Thomson website it actually states
"Thomson Tailormade is a trading name of Hayes & Jarvis (Travel) Ltd, part of the TUI Travel plc Group of Companies"
This is taking us off topic and into the intricacies of national and international company law but the key phrase is

part of the TUI Travel plc Group of Companies

As we all now know following the Starbucks and Amazon furores, these big multinational companies aren't a single legal entity - they are groups of companies and register different parts of the business in different countries as separate companies and not just trading divisions of a single company. It would need an expert lawyer to disentangle the multiple companies and layers of ownership that compromise TUI as a multinational group but the one thing they aren't is a straightforward single company - even within just their UK operations.

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.