UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Have you looked at the train? - You can often get good deals by booking in advance as long as you're flexible over departure times, etc.

Driving and parking in London is a nightmare :yikes , all car parks in central london are expensive. As it's a bank holiday then the same applies as on a weekend, you can park on the street for free. I'd phone them and ask if there's much on street parking locally.
I agree, try to avoid parking in london, the cheapest places to park are around the back of waterloo station but expect to pat at least £12.00 per day more overnight.
How much was the hotel asking for the parking? might be better off parking it there.
Parking at travel lodge is £15 per 24 hours. They only have very limited spaces. You cannot check-inn till after 3 and we are booked in a show from 2.30-5.30pm so not much chance of getting a space. If parking is free on streets as its a bank holiday that would be great, does anyone know how I would find out? If I could park free sat+sunday then move to a paying car park over night sunday that would be great. I have parked free on a sunday before in Manchester town centre but you have to be up at dawn because free parking ends very early in the morning.Hey but then again if its easter then its a bank holiday so this still may be free?? Does anyone know for sure?
Parking in London on yellow lines is usually free on sats after 1pm and all day sundays. I would be careful about reading the restriction plates and make sure you are not in a resident bay etc.
You can also get a parking ticket without knowing it as the cc cameras are used on some streets to issue you with a fine.
Some parts around Kings X look okay in daylight hours but a little iffy when darkness descends. It would be wise to park close to a streetlight and with nothing on view that might encourage further investigation by the light fingered brigade.
There is an NCP in Farringdon Road, I am not sure how much they charge but check there website out. It is about 1/2 mile from Kings X and you would have to factor in walking with luggage or a taxi fare on top.
BTW weekday parking is around £25-£30 for 9 hours in Central London, plus £8 congestion charge. Meters are graded and the most expensive are around £1 for 20 minutes.

regards

Jr
The trouble with London parking meters is that some of them only let you stay for two (or sometimes four) hours in any one go. So you have a). keep moving your car, and b). keep meter feeding which - ipso facto - you're not allowed to do anyway... leave the car at home; London has a good enough public transport system. Parking in London is a nightmare - and any excuse whatsoever will get you clamped and then you're looking at a few hundred quid to get your car back. Brett.
£26 / night? :yikes Amazing value. Well done.

I agree with the other advice here: driving and parking in London is so much added stress, and really not necessary considering the public transport that's available (let alone the easy taxi services if there's several travelling together).

As for parking in meter bays: forget it, or you'll be increasing your mortgage when you get back to pay off the parking debt!!!!
I used to Park on the outskirts of London and catch a tube into central London to avoid the parking problems. Public transport in London compared to the rest of the Uk is superb.
I am another one who advises against driving in London. We drove to the London Zoo once and it was a nightmare!

We have parked at Redbridge Station. There is a Travel Lodge that has free parking on the weekend and I assume you would have to prepay for Monday which is 30 pounds....although if it is a bank holiday that day may be free as well? They have CCTV etc and we have never had a problem finding a parking space on the weekend or bank holidays.

Best of luck!!!

Robin
If you mean the Premier Travel Inn Robin, perhaps that's why we always find it difficult to park when we stay there :lol:
Being a LOndoner born and bred, I have to agree with all the comments posted about not parking in London.

Taking into consideration the actual cost of parking IF you can find somewhere, and the Congestion Charges and any Fines you might inadvertantley incur, all in all, you are far better off using Public Transport. Ok, it might be dirty, it might be unrelaible, it might be expensive, but it is definately the better option.
On my last trip to London I walked down Hyde park lane and saw the place where they keep the kidnapped cars. It was early evening and they were still bringing them in.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.