Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Its presumably because the UK isn't in the Shengen Zone

All other EU residents simply boarded their plane from the gates in the main departure lounge area without going through this procedure. other EU residents on your plane would have been in the same situation as you - its not about residency
Cheers Dave,

Never heard of the 'Shengen Zone' before and I bet most people in the UK haven't heard of it either. After looking it up you are right because even Maltese nationals had to go through this gate to board any UK bound plane. Sometimes makes me wonder why we are in the EU at all.

I guess I know how I'll be voting in a referendum if we ever get the chance!

Trev
The UK chose not to be in the Shengen Zone, a decision that probably made other EU countries wonder why the UK was in the EU, given that its purpose is to allow the free movement of its citizens, one of the primary aims of the EU.
Cheers Dave
lol :rofl :haha Trev hope you had a great time mate, I heard about some of your movements via a mutual aquaintance, also will e-mail or pm you in next few day's, sorry for not getting back to you earlier mate but as you now know not been too rosey of late but both ok now thank god..
Hi Sliema2,

I heard you weren't too grand but pleased that you're both ok now. We had a few bad heads on hols last week but I think that was self inflicted. Thanks for pointing out the name mistake (I really shouldn't rush my postings!!!). :think

Whoops, Mark - sorry I called you Dave - what a mistaka to maka!!! Many apologies, :duh

Trev
Easyjet passengers to u/k are now having their passports not only looked at but scanned at M.I.A. primary check in.
Easyjet passengers to u/k are now having their passports not only looked at but scanned at M.I.A. primary check in.

That'll teach em ;)
teach them for going to the UK, or for using easyjet ?
Better to use sleazyjet than standing on the back row of a ryanair flight eventually. :rofl
I believe O'Leary's next proposal is for outside seats on the wings of his aircraft. :fly
I believe O'Leary's next proposal is for outside seats on the wings of his aircraft

I used to rate him quite highly when he played centre-back for the Arzenal and Republic of Ireland :tup , pretty naff manager though.
Hi there. So when you have gone through passport control you are shepherded direct into the annex lounge and can't do duty free etc?
There is no duty free if you are travelling from one EU country to another
Charliegirl,

There was a 'duty free' (Ha Ha!) shop in the annexed part but the choice was somewhat limited. I can't recall being able to get any food and drink in this annexe so I just wonder what would happen if there was a serious delay. I reckon it's best if you buy what you want before going through the passport control for the second time.

I have to say that I felt that the airport staff I spoke to regarding this segregation seem to be gloating about this arrangement and as a confirmed Maltaphile I felt somewhat annoyed! I find this is all so bizarre since if you've gone through passport control once, why do you need to do it again?? Does this Shengen Zone Agreement mean that we aren't really part of the EU at all even though we pay them far more than we ever get get back and that's despite our massive national debt?

I reckon there ought to be a referendum on this Shengen Agreement ASAP!

Trev
It is now better to stay as long as possible airport side as they have a good selection of food premises such as BK, KFC, Chineese, Asian curry, Greek kebab also a Fat Harry's bar like the one in Buggiba. They also have a runway viewing restaurant located on the third floor in between departures and arrivals.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.