General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I'm really looking forward to it and that's why I can't believe it slipped my mind when thinking about when would be the best time to renew the passport. I'll just have to put it down as a Senior Moment! As well as the scenery, I am also really looking forward to the whole Midnight Sun experience - we go on the 4th of July from Greenock. It never gets really dark at that time of year were I live but it will be even more pronounced that much further north.

Better stop now or somebody will be pointing out that we gone :offtop :D

SM
How much is it now for a renewal ? Got to do mine in November / december after I get back , they run out in aug 2015 ( both of us ) !!

Your upcoming holiday sounds great SMa .
Thanks for the updated info , if I send them off when I return late November I will get the 9 months left over added on and won't be needing them til march 2015 , hopefully a quiet time of year for renewals too .
new passports back this morning ..3 weeks and 4 days since i sent them off ..impressed i am .. :cheers regards..durham passport office.
just about to renew mine. Hadn't realised how few empty pages I had left and we are in Thailand, then Cambodia( visa), then back to Thailand. Two empty pages might be pushing it. We have 8 weeks so I am not panicking- yet!
Hi Fiona,

Just received grandchildren's passports back yesterday (renewals). To be safe used PO "check and send",

5 weeks exactly.

Cheers

Peter
Hi Fiona,

I think the article in today's "Daily Mail" just about sums it up

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2637819/Passport-chaos-threatens-ruin-half-term-getaway-overwhelmed-staff-struggle-issue-documents-time.html
I don't know what is happening in this country - we seem to be going backwards at an alarming rate.

:banghead:

Cheers

Peter
I was reading it this morning. The problem is that some folks can not do without their passports for so long and would have to pay fast track. So I wonder, if there are not enough staff anyway, does that mean that those who don't pay fast track are going to wait even longer?
I am a bit fed up anyway as my passport doesn't run out for another 3 years.
The only way to speed up the time it takes to process applications for passports is too increase the numbers of staff so that they can cope with the peak periods of demand - but that would mean either putting up the price of a passport or putting up taxation to pay for more civil servants. I can't imagine that the Daily Mail would support either option.

The majority of people don't use their passports very frequently and I see no reason why there shouldn't be a twin track pricing policy. The majority do have more than 5/6 weeks between trips out of the country and given that you can have up to 9 months validity transferred to a new passport surely they can organise themselves to renew in time and pay the standard rate? Whereas those who for whatever reason aren't able to organise themselves to do that or want a quicker turnaround, i think that it is reasonable that they should expect to pay extra to jump the queue.

And I say that as someone who will probably need to pay for the fast track when I come back from a fjords cruise in July so that I can get mine renewed before travelling to Cuba in September because it runs out in March and you have to have a minimum of 6 months to run on your passport for Cuba. I knew all this when I chose to book these holidays and I factored in the cost to my budget. Surely all these people didn't just book a holiday without taking into consideration whether they would need to renew/apply for a passport and whether there was time to do that or not?

SM
i filled out passport applications myself for wife and i ,very easy and cheaper back to me as i have said..3 weeks and 4 days.
Hi SMa,

I agree with your sentiments, to a certain extent, and understand where you are coming from - especially after your recent "realisation" over the fjords and Cuba.

I think that a service that can take double the length of advertised / advised times is not too bright!

The website says, in various places -

It takes 3 weeks to get your passport - use a different service if you need your passport urgently.
It can take longer if more information is needed or your application hasn’t been filled out correctly.
Don’t book travel until you have a valid passport.

Using Check & Send is usually faster than posting your own application. Her Majesty’s Passport Office may still need to contact either you or your countersignatory to check details.

It takes at least 6 weeks to get your first adult passport once your form has been received. For all other application types, it takes 3 weeks.

In March, the old head of HM Passport Office was confirmed as Director General of UK Visas and Immigration Service (after interim appointment since 2013).

She was cited for "delivering significant improvements in operational performance and value for money, leading to reductions in passport fees".

Personally, I fail to find the "improvement in operational performance" is manifested in timeliness or efficiency of delivering the service to the customer.

None of this, however, is going to spoil your trip in July, nor mine with the grandchildren.

I just think it is sad to find this positive "spin" on all aspects of public service. This is not statement against any particular government or party - they are all as bad.

In these times of automation, unfortunately, things can get far worse, far quicker than in the past.

;)

Peter
I agree Pete. A service which states 3 weeks shouldn't take 5 for a renewal. The more who use fast track ,the longer the wait for the rest. I have enough stress just now so will just pay to fast track as I think that unless they do something with staffing right now ,things will only get worse. It's a nice little earner though.
Johndoe - bet it's a relief to have them back :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.