General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Re: Peacocks
28 Posts
Hi Parky
I think I paid $60 for it, which is about £45(ish)? and it was reduced.! Usually I pay about a fiver from the Chinese shops. :smile:
Yeh, about the price of two cocktails in the Shangri-la hotel. :wink
By the way, do you know what the hatband decorations mean? I looked at the pic on the site and saw the Aboriginal decs on it - just curious.

I don't have a clue, I just chose it because the colours on the scarf were a bit more subdued than the others, some were really in your face colours, but you can take it off and put whatever you like on.
You really had to be careful because a lot of these type of hats in the shops were made in China.
I think the circle is something to do with water or dreamtime....and I think I must have been dreaming when I bought it.

http://www.barmahhats.com.au/images/1066HA_w_text.jpg

http://www.barmahhats.com.au/foldaway.asp#ladies

Sanji x
The circles or roundels usually refer to a campsite or waterhole.

Judith
Yes Judith, but an aborigine also told me that they can also represent a woman. With Sanji (woman) on a boat in Sydney Harbour heading for the nearest pub (watering hole), I thought it was very apt. ;) ;)

I must post one of the OH's hat later.
Possibly different tribes use different symbols with some being interchangeable (I took a painting class with an Aboriginal woman and I was taught a few of the symbols) From what I remember the symbol for a woman was an upsidedown U.Though I believe it may be the same symbol for a child. I found the whole storytelling by painting very interesting.

Like many visitors to OZ I bought a hat, I've forgotten all about it, must dig it out though I'm not sure what kind of comments and looks I'll get if I wear it here. :)
That's a nice hat Parky, your OH looks grand in it. :tup
Like many visitors to OZ I bought a hat, I've forgotten all about it, must dig it out though I'm not sure what kind of comments and looks I'll get if I wear it here.

Go for it Judith, you might set a new craze off in Bavaria....I'm not sure what the Spanish are going to think, but I don't give a monkey's, it's coming with me to Spain. :rofl

Sanji x
  • Edited by Sanji 2011-04-23 21:51:33
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.