Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Well it sounds like a good price to me! Lucky you, with so much time.
It is 4 years since we went to Penang so I can't really help with prices but it was certainly cheap at the time. We stayed at the Park Royal and it is a lovely hotel. Take your duty free allowance as alcohol is expensive and when we went you could only drink beer in restaurants and local bars. The hotel bars sold spirits though. Food was fantastic and really cheap. We have meant to return to Penang and combine it with Borneo or KL but haven't done so yet! Too many other places to see!
One things for sure it won't be as cheap as Bali ( but then where is!??)
Phillb, that sounds like a great deal to me too!

The only one of your hotels that I've stayed at is the Rasa Ria - my hotel review and Sabah tips are here.

Most of the restaurants at the Rasa Ria have different evenings when they do all-you-can-eat buffet dinners for a set price - I think it was 65 ringgits when we were there 18 months ago, which works out at about £10. Mind you, it didn't come to much more than that on the nights we ate from the a la carte menu. The food was excellent and we thought it was really good value for a 4* hotel. The only one that didn't do this offer was the more upmarket Coast, but the food there is so good that it's worth splashing out on at least once during your stay.

Drinks prices were pretty much what you would expect to pay in a hotel, but they did have happy hours in the early evening with 2 drinks for the price 1 :D
Hi PhillB
have stayed at three of the hotels, the Pangkor Island Beach Hotel, Rasa Ria, and the Mandarin Oriental.

Pangkor Island is in a beautiful location on a long stretch of beach, surrounded by jungle. Watch out for the monkeys and hornbills. To be honest I was not too impressed with the hotel and food choices, or the somewhat surly service but that was when it was owned by Pan Pacific, its changed hands since.

Rasa Ria, smart hotel in a remote location great if you want to chill bit I prefered the Tanjung Aru its sister hotel which was nearer (in) Kota Kinabalu and local restaurants.

Mandarin Oriental..great hotel one of the best in KL...super location right next to Petronas Towers over looking a city park. Right next to a huge shopping mall.
Stayed at the Pangkor Beach last November. Hotel was in a fantastic spot right on its own beach - we stayed in one of the bungalows so were away from the main hotel blocks and it was idyllic.

It is almost a self contained resort and prices reflect this - our four day stay cost about £150. I think a 7 night stay would be too long, we stayed for 4, but by the end I was getting a bit bored of lying on the beach.

The island is so small there isn't much else to do - I hired a bike for a couple of hours and saw some of the island, but unless you are Lance Armstrong Pangkor Hill prevents you cycling all the way round!

Our tour was KL, Pangkor, Penang, Singapore and we organised it through Kuoni who were fantastic - try and do a flight from Pangkor to KL or vice versa, you go from the old KL international airport which is used for about 3 flights a day - imagine Heathrow closed and you get the picture!
  • Edited by daveyjp 2005-12-08 10:34:07
just returned from the park royal in penang ( last night in fact )
hotel is great!
rooms are really nice.we had a balcony,but alot of rooms don't.
pool area is lovely & the surrounding gardens,have plenty of sun-beds,for every one.
there is darts,table tennis,pool & tennis courts,all around the pool area.
there is also para-sailing,jet-skis,speed boats & fishing boats to hire.
cost
jet-ski 150 ringits per hour-£25
para-sailing 35 rongits-£6
fishing boat 4 hrs 250 ringits-£41
not sure about speed boat,as never went on,bit these prices are fantastic,compared to spain etc.
never ate or drank,in hotel,as too expensive,compared too outside.
you won't be disappointed,with this hotel.it is really nice.
food is really cheap,if you stay out of the bigger places.
we paid more for our drinks,as spirits aren't cheap.
places to eat
kampong
ferringhi wok
the ship
& a fantastic place,is actually a little stall,run by a girl called leanne.
if you turn down to the beach,next to the golden sands hotel,you will come to some food stalls.DO NOT BE PUT OFF.
the food is great & so cheap.the sizzling beef,is fantastic.you can have a small,medium or large portion,on anything she cooks.if it's not on the menu,just ask her & she will cook it for you.this is infact,the nicest food we had & it costs so little.the most we paid was 75 ringits-£12,for 4 of us.
thats with 2 drinks each & 4 staters & 4 meals ( 2 medium & 2 large )
great value!!!
enjoy penang,we did!!
tracy
Glad you enjoyed Penang. Thanks for posting your recommendations. Tell me, is the Net still there? We thought the food was wonderful although the place didn't look very attractive- a corrugated iron roof. If I remember rightly the Ship was opposite.
I have requested the park royal be added to our review pages- will let you know when it is!!
hi fiona!
can honestly say,i never noticed one,called the net.
the unattractive ones,are often the best,don't you find?
tracy
yes I do
We splashed out one night on a reataurant which was more upmarket(even had white tableclothes!)- can't remember its name- and I was so ill afterwards!
We now have a review page for the Park Royal just waiting for its first review!(Tracy??!!)
have placed a hotel review fiona.will add some photos,if i ever learn how!!
tracy
Great report Tracy. We loved the grounds of the Park Royal. We were there in April and it was so humid we spent a lot of time in the pool. Great place to sit with a drink!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.