Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Phone Cards
58 Posts
Went to Cyprus a few months ago. Bought phonecard from Post Office here before I went. Cost £10 and lasted me the duration of my holiday no problem and with money to spare. Phoned home a lot. Public phone boxes have phone cards.
thanks wilma 9000

im going for 2 weeks ... not planning on phoning home everyday but do like to natter for a while when on it so will buy one and maybe just use coins it it does run out !! thanks for you help ? :D
Most public phones here use phone cards only..
When we went to Cyprus we brought a phone card for £5 from a shop on the beach so you can tell they are available in most shops. :D They were really easy to use and great value for money as only the exact ammount is taken off the card for each call so you dont keep losing all the change :D you put in or have to keep on trying to keep exact coins for phone calls.

We went to Protarus last October and loved it. So I'm sure you will have a great time. :wave
Mobile phones use the local SoEasy sim and top up cards, they are cheap to phone back to the UK with costing a few cents for a couple of minutes chat... most of us here us them in our mobiles, unfortunatly most mobiles do not work here that are brought over from the UK...they may need unblocking, if your phone is able to be used with any sim card it may be worth you buying a sim card with a number and this also gives you five £ worth of calls, save queing at the phone boxes, you can then buy top ups for a fiver or more..by the way any phone shop here will check your mobile to see if it will except a SoEasy sim card for free..

Jim
  • Edited by jimbox 2005-06-04 05:07:09
Hi jimbox,which phone card are you talking about you didnt make it clear.
Sorry I should learn to read,where can you buy the sim and top cards.
OK two types, the normal phone card as used all over the island for public phones..''SoEasy'' sim cards and top up cards are for mobiles we use locally..but some work in unblocked phones brought in from the UK and elswhere, if you are lucky you can buy a new SoEasy sim card that will give you a number and £5 worth of calls for £15 cyp....this will save you a fortune on phoning back to the UK if this is what you do, I spend at least two minutes daily doing this for a minimul cost of 50cents or less a call...try this on your mobile here, and sit and wait for you bill to arrive in the UK..expensive..

cheers..
How right you are jimbox :lol: My son and daughter in law are in Episkopi just now and they don't use their house phone....always their mobiles. Even when I go over I use their mobiles (I do buy them top ups :wink: ) to phone home; soooooooooo much cheaper
Jim is right on this one. We too have a SoEasy SIM card that we use when in Cyprus and it is loads cheaper. They will even sell on ebay ifyou have no more use for it when you return!

You can buy them from most kiosks.

Link here to the SoEasy page:
http://www.cytamobile-vodafone.com/default.asp?id=89

I can also help with unlocking of most Nokias. Unblocking is illegal, but I am sure it is just terminology in Jims post :wink:

Ady
Unblocking illegal unlocking legal? this is CY as you know illegal and just a little earner mean the same.. :D
I have bought a so easy sim card before and it's great. However, I hadnt thought about looking on ebay for one, so have just been on a search, someone is trying to sell one for £22 'buy now', which included only £3 calls! I will definitely wait until I am in Cyprus to get mine!
Anyone know where the the soeasy sim is available in Ayia Napa.
Sim cards are available at all big supermarkets, phone shops or at the Cyta office in your area, top up card or scratch cards are available from most kiosk or all supermarkets and also phone shops, £5 upwards for the top up cards, £15 for a sim card with number and also £5 worth of calls.

Jim..nice phone shot Askcy ...but ????
Jim
...this is CY...

Good point, noted :wink:

Ady
Don,t know if this is any use to anyone.After reading a lot on the soeasy sim card situation about phoning home I sent the following email

Hi, I,m coming out to to your beautiful country on holiday in July and
staying in Pafos.I am bringing a Nokia 3510i (unlocked to any
network).When purchasing your Soeasy sim card and activating it how much
will it cost me to phone back to a UK landline and also how much to send
a text message back to a UK mobile? Thank you for a reply

Their reply follows(received today)

Dear Customer,

We hope that you will enjoy your trip in Cyprus!
About the charges, you will be charge 8,648 cent per minute if you are calling to a fixed phone in UK and 20.102 cent per minute if you are calling to a mobile number in UK. The sms is only 1 cent per message.
If you need further information, do not hesitate to e-mail us again.
Thank you.

Best Regards
GSM Support.

Thats after purchasing their sim card.Did,nt ask about local calls.

Also asked about the Post Office £10 card and was told phoning home on that is about 28.5 p a minute :roll:
That would be right :lol: When I'm over I only

ever use a mobile, even mobile to mobile is

cheap. Just shows how ripped off we are. :roll:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.