America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Photo License
12 Posts
Hi Michelle YES we used our licence for photo I/D in the US last August with no problem
much better than taking your passport with you
Ann :)
I used mine all the time for this purpose in the US. In fact it was the only reason I bothered to get a UK photo driving licence (rather than my old paper one). Much easier and safer to carry around than your passport.

Also used it many times to travel on flights domestically around the US. Only once had an issue. That was at LAS when the idiot TSA employee who checked boarding cards with ID didn't like the look of it. When I explained that it was "UK Government issued identification" and valid for the purpose of travel he placed his "job's worth" hat on and stood firm. I think he enjoyed the limited authority that his uniform and yellow fluorescent marker pen gave him. Turns out that he had never heard of the EU - European Union and was confused over the "EU" mark on the licence. When I reeled off a selction of EU member Counties only Germany, France and "England" (rather that GB) seem to register with him. He was lost on any of the other Countries. Thankfully I could pull out my passport from my bag and continue my journey - safe also in the knowledge that this high level of security and the blanket ban on taking tweezers in hand luggage, meant I would travel safely to my next destination.
Off topic I know but I have always wondered what sort of life threatening damage I could cause with a pair of tweezers, but a brooch that is affixed to a long sharpe needle like fastener that I recently noticed on the lapel of a jacket that I have worn on numerous occasions when going through security at various airports throughout the world has never been questioned.

Judith
this is also the reason i changed my paper licence again no problems using it.
I have no intention of changing my paper licence to a photo one as the photo one needs renewed every 10 years at a cost which I think is currently £17.

I use a photo copy of my passport as ID.

luci :wave
Hi Luci

All though it makes sense...I wasn't aware the photo driving licenses had to be redone every 10 years. In saying that I've had mine for 7 years now (since we moved house). I think you get them renewed free when you move house, so we might (hopefully) get a free one soon, as the housing market has picked up a touch from where we're watching. I find it much easier to carry, since it just fits in my purse with my reward cards etc.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/index.htm

Free to change address, but you will still have to renew the photo after 10 years at £17.50.

luci :wave
Hi can anyone tell me, is there any problem with picking up your hire car at orlando with a paper license?
thanks Louise 13months to go :cheers
Received my photo licence after 2 weeks, omg don't i look like a dork :rofl
Mine is due for an updated photo.Only trouble is I'm 10 years older now :yikes
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.