Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Phuket Karon
7 Posts
Phuket has a wide choice of restaurants so you can pay as much or as little as you like but as a rough guide we were spending about £10 per person per day for lunch and dinner in tourist restaurants..this would include a soft drink or beer. A large beer (Singha 660ml) cost about 70 baht - a pound. Wine tends to quite expensive. Dining and drinking in the hotel will be more expensive.

We tend to take about a grand for two to three weeks. But we have brought back money in the past.

Never been at new year but heard it can be fun...Thais are famous for having fun.

A trip round the island is probably worthwhile - some of the beaches to the north are quite quiet if you fancy a change from the livlier Karon. Of the temple complexes Wat Chalong is worth a look. Phuket Town is ok for a visit to department stores and night markets.Take some boat trips to the outlying islands including Phi-Phi, or do a sea canoe trip which will usually take in some of the rock formations known as hongs.
Hi Williec
Can you tell me how you have managed to book for next year are you going with a major travel company? I have been trying to book things for our 25th Wedding anniversary next year but keep getting told to wait till end of Dec or early Jan does anyone else know about good companies?
will put a thread on here to see if I can get anywhere so dont be surprised to see same message
cheers Paul
Hi Paul,

I booked it though the Thomson's website they had early 2008 on there as well
We stayed in Karon a few years ago and quite enjoyed it.Not as manic as Patong but some nice restaurants and bars.Costs are pretty much as Sunbear said but as with anywhere you can spend as much or as little as you like.Jeep hire is relatively inexpensive we paid 800bht a day and the island is easy to get around.We had a really nice day at Nai Harn beach in the north of the island very beautiful.Do a web search for the fab and funky guide to Phuket.A very interesting site.Met the author of the site Trevor and had a drunken night putting the world to rights in possibly the most unusual restaurant/pub on the island The Green Man.One word of warning tuk tuk costs on Phuket are vastly inflated due to a sort of mafia price fixing.A one way trip from Karon to Patong cost then 200thb and no negotiation.Basically a complete p*** take

Good Luck
Hi Papa I hate it when they do they price fix that sounds very dear. Is there a bus that runs from Karon to Patong?

Paul
yes as I remember there is a bus service that does The Patong,Karon and Kata circle but unsure of cost and frequency.

Good Luck
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.