General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hiya I can't help with the feet apart from recommending aloe vera gel to sooth
As for the chaffing on your legs the same happens to me and I've been told to try a cream called lanarcane (not sure of spelling) you can get it in boots and it's a yellow box/ tube. I'll be trying it out this yr on holiday 2 weeks to go so I'll let you know if it works if you want?
could it be a form of cellulitis , have you had is checked out with a Dr when you are home.
as for the chaffing , i have seen a advert on TV adcertising a cream , but cant think of the name of it at the moment .
Thanks for that info I have googled and the piccies are indeed very similar to what I get except it is in a small specific area only and vanishes more or less as soon as I am out of the sun. I am seeing my doctor next week anyway so will ask her because I thought that it was just sun/heat related.

Yes please let me know how you get on with that cream, I know which one you mean and would try anything to avoid putting up with the pain.
I think it's Lanacane anti chafing gel,I got a free sample a while back and thought it was good.T.
Lanacaine is an effective 'anti-itch' cream, containing a local anaesthetic. You probably have some sort of photosynthetic reaction (ie reaction to certain types of light - UVA/B), and you might need to consider using some type of barrier cream in the form of a total sunblock, or even consider seeing a doc for a steroid cream for short term use. Note that the steroids on sale over the counter in the UK eg Hydrocortisone 1% may not be strong enough for your needs.

If you are holidaying in an area where anti-malarials need to be taken, you may have a reaction if you are taking DOXYCYCLINE.

I'm not a medically qualified person, but suffer from the same rash in the same place, and also have eczema and psoriasis (lovely cocktail that!!). Do please see your doc!

As for the chaffing thighs, there's not probably a solution, because we all carry our fat differently!! When you change out of your costume, might you consider wearing cut-off tights (waist to knee) to separate the two rubbing surfaces, and you could put talc on when the thighs are DRY to increase friction between the two surfaces.

You have my sympathy because it's not fun! Moisturise this area well at night anyway and apply a calming lotion if you do have sore bits there.
HI, my son (23) suffers from the spots/rash you talk about, on his legs. He visited his GP who diagnosed that it was caused by excessive sweating down to training (football and gyming) apparently lots of sports people get it. He was prescribed a cream whose exact name escapes me - something like Daktacort (sp). He has also used sudocream at times when it flares up.
As far as I know, Daktacort is an antifungicial preparation. Can someone confirm that, because I can get it in France ON PRESCRIPTION!!! but as I'll be coming to the UK soon, I could get some OTC if you can confirm it's useful!
Alsacienne wrote:
As far as I know, Daktacort is an antifungicial preparation. Can someone confirm that, because I can get it in France ON PRESCRIPTION!!! but as I'll be coming to the UK soon, I could get some OTC if you can confirm it's useful!

Daktacort is a steroid cream and is an anti-fungal treatment, quite a few of my clients use it but I'm pretty sure it's prescription only if it's the same one I'm thinking of ;)
Well I've just Googled it and it's available to purchase from various websites so maybe it is an OTC cream :)
I bought some of the Lanacaine powder today with my points in Boots it was £6.86 compared to £3.99 for the cream both claim to do the same thing on the packaging but I thought that the powder would be better value for money.

Yes I noticed the same rash on a few people while I was away so assumed that it was quite common, I will let you know what the doctor has to say when I see her next week.

Thanks everyone :)
As for the chaffing thighs, there's not probably a solution, because we all carry our fat differently!! When you change out of your costume, might you consider wearing cut-off tights (waist to knee) to separate the two rubbing surfaces, and you could put talc on when the thighs are DRY to increase friction between the two surfaces.

If the chaffing rash has already started DON'T do this as it might inflame already sore skin but I find that the best way to prevent chubby thighs rubbing and getting sore in hot weather is to put some anti-perspirant on where your thighs rub together as it's the sweaty dampness which causes the problem. Personally I've found the Dove cream one to work the best (comes in a sort of blue capped mushroom-shaped container!) but the sticks such as Sure work well too. Least successful for me but better than nothing is an aerosol spray - I think that it's the slight greasyness of the creams or sticks that make them work better. It has to be an anti-perspirant rather than just a deodorant - the aim is to keep the skin dry. Obviously, if you are in and out of the pool then it will come off but I've found that if you put some more on at the same time as you top up your sunscreen after a dip it does still do a quite good job. Do it discretely and who's to know what you are rubbing on your legs? ;)

SM
My son's had the Daktacort on prescription and also bought it OTC. I've also heard of people using dove antiperspirant on the inside of thighs to stop chafing.
thats sounds like prickly heat, I get it it the same place each year, I used PH Alo Vera which I bought from a chemist in Turkey
just saw an advert on tv,lanacane anti chafing gel,I got a free sample a while ago,I thought it was good.
the talc works for me. If I wear a dress or skirt out in the evening, I just put a small dusting around the top of my legs. If I'm in an area of high humidity I carry a small pot with me in the evening.
hii everyone, l use mitchams deodorant spray for chaffing on legs and it works a treat,hope this helps only 11 days to go and we are in benidorm cant wait. :sun2
hi... light coat of vasaline....so soothing for chaps....prevents it getting going too....you can get the little tins with aloe vera in it too now....says for lips....but its just vaseline in handy size tin....handy to carry with you too...always take one away with me as so good for lots of things
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.