Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
Playa Graciosa
15 Posts
Google... "playa graciosa los cristianos" ...and you get lots of info.
These are private apartments set within a residential complex in Los Cristianos, each apartment will be furnished different depending on the owners taste and how they have furnished it, a lot of the apartments will have been purchased solely to let out as holiday accommodation.

Taking a look at Google maps they are located near the ferry terminal, I will try and explain how to find them :D

Google maps http://maps.google.co.uk/ then search Los Cristianos, the map will bring up red pins (A,B,C etc) click on the pin marked A 'Spring Arona Gran Hotel' then click on the hotel name this will open a new window for that hotel.
In this window click on the directions tab below the hotel name, when that map opens change to satellite in top right corner.
In this satellite picture you will see a green tab marked B if you zoom in using the slider on the left you will see an area with blue roofs that looks like a triangle wedged between these roads Calle del Ancia / Ave de Amsterdam /Calle Chalana.

That is Playa Graciosa easy eh :rofl

Graham
Hi, these apartments are near Victoria Court 2 and look really nice, we stayed in this area in June and really enjoyed it, so much so we are going back next year.The area is quiet but plenty of bars within easy walking distance,the Sunday market is just across the road as well. Hope this helps, Helen.
I suspect you cant find anything because its my understanding that that is a private residential area - not a tourist designated 'complex'.

I suspect that some residents in Graciosa will be less than impressed if some of the apartments are being rented out to us 'tourists' on very short term rentals ie 1 or 2 weeks rather than the typical residential period of 6 / 12 months, others of couse will want to do the same to make some money !

Residents where ever they are, typically want to live a normal life and not have the possibility of enduring holiday makers enjoying themselves and waking everyone up at 0400 in the morming when they have forgotten their apartment keys or cant find the keyhole as it keeps moving ! I am not suggesting for one moment that you will act like this but others might.

I'm aware that the Tenerife tourist board has homed in on the holiday complexes in the past 12 months so that they can be officlally registered and of course so they pay their fees to the board ie raise revenue (what else!) and this has been passed onto the apartments owners.

Saying that Graciosa looks a nice place - only been to the underground garage area - but as they say, thats another story !

have a nice time.

Chris
Playa Graciosa is a residential complex where the owner of your apartment is breaking the law by renting it out to you as a tourist..

This is not your fault obviously as you were unaware of this when you booked.

Tenerife announced a crack down on illegal letting of residential complexes to tourists at the start of the year and appointed a team of inspectors to investigate this practice

If you get a knock on the door during your stay from one of these inspectors, best practice is to be polite and honest to them!
my god,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you have :( put the frighteners on me ,,,i better not let my wife see this post till we get back,,, i will be worried about snoring in case there's a knock at the door ,,we are very quiet people honest ,,thanks for the info ,,,rob
Rob,

Remember this is not your problem unless the owner is found out before you arrive and has second thoughts which may have a possible impact on your holiday. This however is very, very unlikely. Things dont happen that quickly !

The owner is probably likely to be fined if discovered or informed upon and therefore discouraged from doing this again. The fines are significant.

Talking to someone today I understand some people have been sold apartments in some complexes on the understanding of being able to get rental income only to find that the 'legitimate' rental income is from longterm rents ie 3/6/12 months rather than the more profitable 1 or 2 weeks which most people expect when they buy places here to rent out.

Regards Chris
To put this into perspective a little..... this isnt a new law, it is one that has been in existence for at least 15 years but no-one has really bothered much about it being adhered to, mainly because it is virtually impossible to police thousands and thousands of holiday rental apartments.

There is talk that a team of inspectors in the last few months are trying to get some sort of common policy together for the whole of the Canaries, however I suspect they know all along they will never be able to stop it so are making token gestures (ie fining a miniscule amount of owners who have promptly appealed and so slowing down the whole process again) simply to appease the powerful Hotel lobby who want everyone to stay in their hotels instead of self catering.

This law doesnt just apply to residential complexes, anyone who rents out an apartment privately (instead of through the site management company) on a complex classed as for tourist use is also breaking the law, so you can imagine the chaos that would be caused if this law was applied fully.
Actually, anyone can serve a denuncia upon anyone else who they consider are breaking the law. it doesnt have to be an inspector.

Don't let this spoil your holiday, the chances the owner would be so unlucky is slight and you will certainly not be fined or prosecuted because you havent broken any so called law.

PS - noise doesnt always come from holidaymakers, I find tenants on longer lets are usually the noisy ones!
The problem may not be from the local authorities but more likely from other residents in a complex that do not want others letting out their apartments on short term 'tourist' rentals.

I understand that in the past notices have been slipped underneath doors informing the holiday makers that where they are staying is residental and not for tourists.

Chris
Yes I agree, any resident can complain and serve a denuncia (over anything causing them a nuisance, not just holidaymakers) and as you say it has been done in the past -different scenario to inspectors chasing illegal lets.
ok thanks,, of there next week so ,,hope it goes well ,,,rob
please let us know how you get on.

Chris

ps we have just walked past it and all looks quiet !!!
Chris,we have booked an apartment in Victoria Court 2 for next year, do you know if these have a tourist licence?I know they are privately owned.
Victoria Court 1 definately has a 'tourist licence' and I expect that Vicky 2 is in a similar position. I will ask a contact to confirm and post when I get a reply.

Regards, Chris

UPDATE - Vicky 2 has a tourist license and have a great holiday. Watch out for Norman !
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.