UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
When we visited Brean Sands we stayed at the Unity Holiday Resort. We used this as a base and spent our time during the day visiting tourist attractions. One not to be missed is Cheddar Gorge which is spectacular.
A day in Bath is also reccommended. We picked up the tourist bus outside the Crescent which was money well spent when you don't have long to stay in the city.

Sorry I can't help you about the Pontins site but we had no complaints about our site , we stayed in a caravan and the entertainment was adequate.
Have a nice holiday.
hi we where in brean a month ago staying just down the road from pontins
there is a good car boot on sundays and a market on mondays at brean leisure
the supermarket oppisite pontins as some good offers but the other sp are in burnham tesco or somerfields
you can walk for miles on the beach which is oppiste the site and weston is not to far
hope you have a good hol 8)
Haven`t actually stayed at Brean, we were at Weston-super-Mare, which would be a good trip out, great beach, plenty of shops, good supply of eateries, plus the pier, with kiddie rides.
I've just booked at Brean Sands too, but for the end of July, so any further information would be appreciated..

I've visited the Butlins at Minehead before, but it was a few years ago, what local attractions are nearby?

We are staying a week at Brean Sands, then going camping afterwards in Cornwall...
Hi Foodpro :D

Have you been to Cornwall before?
If not, I can give you lots of ideas for days out.

Philippa :D
Hi Pippy :D

I've been to Minehead, found it to be really good, but the entertainment was mainly onsite, so didn't get out too much :oops:

Any suggestions for days out would be excellent; my plan was to spend a week at Brean, then head further SW and go camping towards NewQuay / St Ives :wink:
Here you go then, lots of Cornwall info for you :D

Have a look through this thread....

CLICK HERE

Philippa :D
Went to Breane last August bank holiday Sunday for the week staying at Unity Farm.
We had excellent weather which helps but we went somewhere different every day.
Cheddar gorge
Rich's cidar farm,
as you go out of Burnham, near Tesco's roundabout,
go straight over the roundabout and just keep going,
wasn't far and there's a small playground for the kids whilst you go and sample the wears :wink:
it's at Highbridge, Somerset 01278 783651
Burnham on sea
Weston supermare
Glastonbury
Clarkes Village (Street)
Wookie hole
etc....
Carboot at Leisure park is more of a market, but very good!! well it was last Aug bank holiday
As for the beaches they are very nice ( some you can drive on and park)
but don't try to get to the sea as you'll need to be rescued from the mudflats!
Nicest bit of beach near Breane (we thought) was just down a bit towards Burnham
there's a nature reseve with car park and you walk through the dunes to get to the beach.
My kids have been nagging to go back to Unity farm, haven't nagged to go back to Mallorca ( we went there in May this year!) so proves it's a hit with the kids!

I worked in Butlins about 10 years ago and did get off site alot.
In town there are lots of shops, pubs and a nightclub if it's still there.
Some fantastic beaches around Minehead and the harbour is very nice.
There's also a nice traditional park in Minehead.
http://www.minehead.co.uk/
Taunton
Bridgewater
Ilfracomb
Exmoor
Porlock
Cidar farms :lol:
There's the place with the lifts up the hill side but I get the names mixed up. :roll:

http://www.newquay.org.uk/
Newquay- I love too, love VW's!!!!
I like the beach with the house on the rock! It was "for Sale" the last time I went.
we usually spend the odd weekend or two during the year camping in Brean - highly recommend the Seagull inn for food and entertainment - they have a great kids club from about 7-9 and high class cabaret acts every night
Sorry for taking the thread slightly off topic with Cornwall, but great information Pippy! I've been trawling through the immense information on the other thread all night! :shock:

Thanks also Nicola, I've been to Cheddar Gorge, and Wookey Hole before, but I think they might deserve a revisit.... :D

And thanks for all the other info, as you might have guessed, I'm new here, sorry for butting in.... :oops:
but does anyone know what the Pontins site itself is like? I've read bad reports on the Southport and Blackpool sites (near where I'm based)
Nicola, the place with the lift up the cliff, I think you`re on about Lynmouth, the lift takes you up to Lynton, lovely view, must be even better when the sun is shining, we`ve been up 3 times now, each time it`s either been raining, or just stopped!
Lynmouth - that's it! thanks. Nice pub at the bottom. :lol: Nice village at the top with tea rooms ( well was last time)

We thought Wooky was a bit expensive for us as we'd gone late pm, not bad for a full day! I've been to Cheddar loads of times, but last time did a bit of climbing ( not full on rock climbing, but just being adventurous ish :wink: )

As for Pontins, I don't know sorry.
A lady I work with took her 8yr old son last year and he loved it!
I will ask her when I next see her.
Looked ok from the outside.

We had fantastic weather which does make all the difference, we even came back with tans!
Thanks folks for all your info we are off to Pontins this weekend will fill you in with details and what i thought soon!
We have just returned from Pontins Brean Sands, we booked with the Sun newspaper £9.50 holidays as all we wanted was a base for my husband and I to do a bit of sightseeing from.
Obviously we didn't expect too much but what they tried to give us for our money wasn't even worth £9.50!!! It was a budget appt .... it was smelly, filthy and unfit for humans to live in!!! (No:513 in "Surf City") Light bulbs were missing there was grime everywhere, stains on the carpet and what looked like blood up the walls!
On saying all this, I must say that when we complained we were upgraded straight away to a Club appt. This was beautiful, couldn't have asked for more, fresh, clean with tv, shower, microwave etc.
I do hope you have a nice time the area is so good for sightseeing. Although you are going for a different type of holiday, Pontins itself did seem to have lots going on for all ages but we can't comment on it as we did not use any of their facilities.
How people will get on if they are fully booked and can't be upgraded though I don't know as I couldn't have stayed in the appt we were allocated.
Well folks just come back from Pontins can not comment on faciltys as we didnt use them.
On arrival found Receptionist rather rude perhaps she had a off day!
Appartment smelt musty and there were signs of damp the appartment was fairly clean although it was budget and i went not expecting much as i remember our last experience with our children when we visted pontins in walels many years ago.
Brean its self was lovely and we had chosen the best weekend for weather.
The Sunday and Monday market found some lovely bargains .visited my brother who was staying in a tent at warren farm holiday park which i wished i had booked there lovely friendly clean site but thats another story.
I dont think i will be visiting pontins again but Brean yes it is lovely!
Thanks for the heads-up folks!

We are going next week, so hopefully they might have cleaned up a bit?

Are there any places nearby that you recommend to visit?

The descriptions of the place is like when we went to Hemsby a couple of years ago, as long as their is a bed and its clean, Im happy... :D
I mentioned a few place in my 1st reply.
Rich's cider farm is a must if you like cider :lol:
I have only just come back from Pontins-Somerset today. I stayed in whats known as a silver appartment. I found the staff very nice, and the evening shows were great :!: The fair (off the pontins site) was excellent, it has some really great rides, including two roller costers and a water ride. Wookey hole and cheddar gorge was also amazing! My two younger brothers were with me (I am 18, my brothers are 15 and 11) and they loved the quad bikes, the absailing, the zip wire and the go-karts (all on the site). So all in all, I found Pontins a great place to be, and to me, the holiday there went far too quickly. :D
We got back yesterday, but had spent a week camping in Cornwall too, so heres my verdict: Apartment windows looked like they had never been cleaned, distinct lack of equipment for cooking etc, was put at the far side of the complex, so had a mile walk to get onto the main site, bar overcharged, then refused to refund the money (until we complained to the top guy on site, and then only got Pontins Pounds to spend... :? Arcade machines were old or none functional, entertainment was repeated and different acts had the same routines, bed was uncomfortable, tennis rackets/snooker equipment were damaged, onsite shop was overpriced, We found the park next door was overpriced; you had to get tickets for everything and the place lacked atmosphere, beach not really within walking distance and was deserted,

So all in all, a disapointment; the place definately needs some money throwing at it to bring it up to spec.

Saying that the staff were friendly enough :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.