Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
We had two boat trips in Marmaris during our holiday last month, one great & one similar to yours.

The first one told us when booking that he took a maximum of 45 people. Just after setting off, I counted 39 upstairs & around another 15 downstairs :-x
Like you say, you had to push past other people to get up & down the steps & wondered if your sunbed would be taken when returning from a dip.

After having great trips in previous years, we decided to try our luck again during our 2nd week. This time we went with Captain Nick on his boat 'The Monte Carlo' and had a great time. 33 people on a boat with 35 sunbeds & Nick swore that he never took more than 35 & was scathing about other boat owners who oversell trips.

I told him that I would recommend him to others when we got home, so......erm....Captain Nick & his Monte Carlo boat trip is the best in Marmaris. :bow We will definately be taking two trips with him next summer.
Hi SBM... this Monte carlo trip, is it all inclusive, what are the drinks like, and where did you book it, theres a group of us going in just over 2 weeks...5adults and 4 children, also could you tell me the price of this trip, and do you get the chance for a swim?

thanks for any info! :tup

clare x
Hi Clare,

We booked direct with Captain Nick down on the Marina (just over the wooden bridge near the Ataturk statue). The boats are all lined up in the evening & you just walk up & book. There are a couple of agents in litle kiosks, but you're best cutting out the middle man & booking direct.

Yes, it was all inclusive. We paid £10 per adult, £5 each for the girls aged 10 & 12 & our 7 year old son was free. These seem to be the prices that most owners charge, give or take a couple of quid.

Free taxi collection from your hotel is usually thrown in, although we walked, as we were staying close to the marina. Lunch was pasta, salad, chicked & bread. Drinks are the turkish versions of coke, sprite, fanta etc plus 500ml bottles of water, everything nice & cold out of the fridge. The wife & myself don't tend to drink around the kids, so I didn't notice if the booze was branded, but I didn't hear anyone complaining about their beer or spirits. The trip is great value for money, as in the heat, we must have got through one drink each every 30 minutes, all day long.

The trip lasted from about 10am to 4pm & it includes about 4 different stops, were they drop anchor & you can all jump off for a swim, of 30 minutes or so each time. The boat has loads of floats, bouyancy jackets etc for the kids. You also slow down to feed bread to the fish at the fish farm & also slow down to see the famous sulphur caves, which are actually just dark caves, covered in spray painted graffiti!

When we were there in 2006 we went on the 'Robin of Sherwood' boat, which was a great day out but it wasn't around this year. So after getting stung on the first trip this year, we were a bit worried about having another bad experience, but the Monte Carlo was great. Definately the best day of our holiday & as I said in my last post, we will definately use it again, when we go back to Marmaris next year.....well, if there are any travel companies still trading by next year! :shock:
  • Edited by SBM1970 2008-09-15 20:13:04
Thankyou very much SBM.... thats very useful, at them prices it will be cheaper to go on a boat trip every day, rather than sitting by the pool/beach.... thats our holiday sorted :rofl
We are off to WOW Bodrum Resort on 27th Sept and i really want to do a boat trip, any ideas which is the best - would i be better booking through Reps at Hotel?
Don't book with your rep - you will pay well over the odds, and you can get a much better deal with almost every tour agency, bar, restaurant, and even shop! in Gumbet. Just ask around, and remember to ask how many people they take on the boats, and that you don't want to be on one which is full to the brim.

Elaine
Thanks Elaine,

Any recommendations welcomed :)

Jane
I agree, definitely don't book with your rep, they will cahrge a lot more and you will probably end up on a big, packed out boat. The best ones have small boats which carry fewer people so you can get some sunbathing space or shade.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.