Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
port colum
5 Posts
I think Porto Colom is a very nice little resort. It is rather quiet, and the nicest part of it is around the port area - some of the apartments which are a distance from the port do look a bit tired. There are a small number of nice restaurants and bars but very few shops. Apparently Ralph Schumacher paid a visit in his boat last year. If you are looking for a busy lively resort with lots of shops and restaurants you would be better off going to Cala D'Or which is a few miles away. If you want a small fairly unspoiled but fairly quiet resort then Porto Colom may be just what you are looking for.
Been there several times - it is a quieter resort, and hasn't been developed as much as some of the others down the east coast, but is still very nice and relaxing and you sometimes see the locals sitting outside their houses shelling almonds.
It has shops, bars, restaurants, etc - some are in and around the plaza, some are toward the marina area, some are along the smaller side streets, and others are at the other side of the Cala Marcal beach which is a nice sheltered beach and bay.
Depends what you want from your hols - if you want somewhere to get away from it all but still have access to necessities, etc, then this is the place for you - if you want a bit more nightlife, then try further down the coast toward Cala D'Or, etc.
Marina/Harbour area does attract some very wealthy and well known people in their large powerboats and yachts due to it being quieter and off the beaten track,so less chance of being spotted and pestered, as well as where all the locals tie up their fishing boats making it quite picturesque.
Enjoy, whatever you decide
RJ
hi there,i would not recomend porto colom to anyone.we dont like very lively resorts but this was far too quiet for us even my parents in the 70,s
would struggle with it.we went 3 yrs ago and i cant imagine much has changed.we stayed at apartments on the square which by the way is the only place the bar or two and odd shop was to be found.we walked along the prom looking for the only ciggy shop that there was and past only a couple of bars and the odd shop.it was like you could not even walk into anyother resort like you can in othere towns as they are close together.thank god we only booked a week,it was the only holiday in all the years weve been going abroad that i felt was a waste of money.
hope this has been of some help,any further info you want please just ask.

cheers laingy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.