Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
I think that you might have done. The Port side of the ship is the left hand side when facing forwards toward the prow and hence is the side that will be facing south on an east to west crossing of the Atlantic. I would think that a cabin on the starboard ie north facing, side of the ship would get very little direct sun come October. One of the stories about the origin of the word POSH is that in the days of the Raj in India, it stood for Port Out/Starboard Home - this meant that your cabin was on the shadier ie cooler side of the ship on both the outward (east bound) and return (westbound) journeys. Before the days of air conditioning etc the shipping companies charged more for this combination and only the more senior civil servants and army people could afford it. Or so the story goes!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.