Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Portugal has very specific requirements concerning the entry and exit of persons under the age of 18.

I copied this from the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office website Portugal page:

Travelling with children

A minor under the age of 18 travelling to Portugal must either:
"¢be accompanied by a parent or guardian,
"¢be met at the airport or point of entry by a parent or guardian, or
"¢carry a letter of authorisation to travel from a parent or guardian. The letter should name the adult responsible for the minor during his/her stay.

A minor who is resident in Portugal may be prevented from leaving the country if he/she is travelling unaccompanied and is not carrying a notarised letter of authority from a parent or guardian. This is particularly important for children returning to school in the UK.

Similarly, a resident minor travelling with just one of his/her parents, must have a notarised letter of authority to leave the country from the parent who is staying behind. A standard form of words (in Portuguese) covering both of these cases, may be downloaded from the Portuguese immigration service website in Portuguese.

When asked this question once before, the thought passed across my mind that two legally married 17 year olds could not enter Portugal unless they complied with the requirements above!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.