Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
We got back last week after spending two fantastic weeks at this hotel, there was myself, hubby and 5 kids also my friend and her 2 kids, none of us were ill and we never heard of anyone being ill when we were there, we ate lots of different types of food and it was all lovely. the hotel is very clean and you have to wipe your hand with anti bacterial wipes when entering the restaurant which is a good idea, the thomson rep Neil) was great and would do whatever needed to help you, a real credit to thomsons. The only real problems we found were that there was'nt enough parasols and if you did'nt get up really early you did'nt get one, families were taking 3 parasols for 4 sunbeds which i think is very selfish. We are already planning to book for july next year but will take our own parasol or buy one from one of the local shops (10 euros).
If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.
Evening entertainment was good in my opinion.
Ive just booked to go to the torremolinos beach club on sunday, have been reading the reviews on a few of the sites and this bug is mentioned, at first i wasnt too worried but have just read some reviews on another site and everyone of them said someone in their party had it from the beginning of the year up until this month. Some even been hopitalised. Im really worried now especially with taking a 7 yr old. Surely companies wouldnt send anyone there would they if this was the case some were even talking solicitors. We are going with Thomas Cook can anyone shed any light on this i would be very grateful. Thanks Diane.
Sorry, I can't give any reassurances about the problem, and whether it is as bad as you have read.
The Norovirus is a very difficult virus to eradicate, and it only needs one person to infect surfaces or food and this bug will spread like wildfire because it is an aire-borne virus, and it thrives in situations where "communal living" takes place, like cruise ships, hospitals, nursing homes and hotels.

My advice would be......
Take extra special care with your personal hygiene and especially your children's hygiene.
Try not to touch surfaces like handrails and door handles, and especially the toilet door handle.....use a tissue or a hanky to grab them.
Just before you put anything in your mouth, use some anti-bacterial gel, which can be bought on the high street in a small bottle for just over a £1, and it takes seconds to rub a small amount on your hands and evaporate.

If you're out in the resort, again use the hand gel and don't touch things like complimentary tit-bits, like crisps or nuts.
I don't mean to sound paranoid, but I've managed several times to avoid being struck down with the Norovirus in a hotel on the Costa Blanca, where according to reports, the people around me were supposed to be "dropping like flies".

Just take a little extra care and it will go a long way. ;)

Sanji
  • Edited by Sanji 2009-10-22 21:04:21
thanks for that advice will follow it. Diane.
hope you have a lovely time, we did, i was also nervous after reading the reports but while we were there i never heard of anyone being ill, the rep did say at our welcome meeting that some people had been drinking beer all day while sunbathing and then all night then saying they felt "ill" well if they do that then they will be ill!! i'm not saying that was the case for everyone that was ill but that is the reason why some people get ill. none of my children were ill either and the youngest was only one when we went.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.