Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
Rhodes is very hot in August though the high summer winds (Meltemi) tend to keep the temperatures a bit more comfortable around Rhodes Town and the West coast. The East coast will feel hotter, especially Lindos which is on average of 5C warmer.
Day time in July & August 2009 we had 40C +
hi missauk.....I was out to my sons wedding middle of last august.....I was worried sick about how hot it would be as I get ill if I get too hot...I was dreading it.....but I was fine ....drink plenty of water....have a sleep in the afternoon when its hottest....great if you got aircon

I really had a great time....tip for you if you going to go up the Acropolis do it as early as possible in the morning....before the coaches arrive full of tourists ....it gets extreamly hot by lunch time....then go mooching in the shops in the narrow streets afterwards.....Lindos is lovely at night too...I put lots of photos in the gallery ....we stayed in pefkos .....

As long as you dont go hiking or sunbathing during the afternoon heat ....which is the same advice for everywhere you will be fine ...and will love Rhodes....have a great time....tweetie
Have to second everything Marcus and Tweetie said. Yes, it's hot but the breeze will be welcome-------as will an afternoon siesta! Enjoy!!
The average high in July and August is 31c. I would not take any comment regarding 40c too seriously. Yes it can get very hot if you happen to hit a week when there is a heat wave (they get them on Rhodes just like anywhere else) but that is the exception, not the rule.

There is also a signifigant difference between the east and west coasts. The west tends to have a breeze almost all the time and that helps considerably. The east does not and that's why Lindos is usually the hottest place on the island.
Hello . Someone who lives in Lardos posts temperatures every day on the Friends of Pefkos web site. Readings are taken at 9.30am.Today it was 42C in direct sun & 24C in the shade.It has been that for a few days.
I just checked two weather websites tpebop and neither showed anything near 40c. The 24c sounds reasonable and I suspect the direct sun reading is just that, a thermometer placed in direct sunlight. When you do that, you get an inflated reading as the glass heats up to a higher temperature than the actual air temperature. That's why you always measure in the shade, in an area that is open to air flow and 2 metres off the ground. Avoid placing a thermometer around large areas of asphalt or on a building wall. Just add the http: in front of this for a reasonable explanation. //howcanpeoplebesostupid.com/?p=1794 (Apparently I don't qualify to post links here, I've no idea why.)

The other factor which affects 'feel temperature' is of course humidity. Higher humidity will result in what 'feels like' higher temperatures.

Also, if you lie on the beach in the sun it feels hotter than it is unless there is a good breeze blowing. The sun puts 1000 watts of energy onto every square metre of the earth. It's like putting yourself in a 1000 watt microwave oven! I would be extremely suprised if the temperature anywhere on the island was near 42c today, regardless of how hot it might feel.
Thank you. I do know how to measure temperatures.I have no way of knowing how the person in Lardos takes his readings. All I was doing was reporting what I read.
We do LIVE in Rhodes & I know that compared to UK it does feel very hot.
we were there last July and on average most days were around the early/mid 30's however by the time we left it was getting up to the late 30's and the locals told us that it was expected to reach 40 (in Lindos). It was blissful though! Quite breezy
Have you noticed tpebop how all the locals cross to walk on the shady side of the street while all the tourists cross to walk on the sunny side of the street? :think

Then of course there is siesta when all the locals (I'm still in the habit even though I haven't lived there for 10 years)lie down for a nap in the shade and all the tourists lie on the beach in the sun. :sun2

My favourite though are the people with spray bottles of oil at the beach who spray themselves to get a better tan. It's exactly the same as putting oil in a frying pan so you fry things faster and browner. :rofl

Well, back on topic, next week will tell the tale of how finished the hotel is. I hope some of those who have posted here and are booked for next week, take the time to post some observations.
LOL thank you, that last post made me laugh!

I have a husband with VERY fair skin and Im slightly paranoid about my 8 year old daughter (who tends to come back whiter than she went lol), so we tend to be on the beach for 9am and back in the shade having lunch by 12.30pm!

Siesta and walking in the shade both have to be done!

We are staying in Pefkos, so I guess that means it will be hotter, although the place we are staying has the choice of 3 swimming pools, so I guess we will be ok!

Thanks
Was in Pefkos last year (early June) and the temperatures were pretty hot (even early morning).

walking back to the coralli appartments from the town centre at 9:30 and the temperature was already showing as 34c.

you don't get much of a breeze in pefkos as it is sheltered by the high ground around it.

If you go to the beach make sure you leave your footware on until you are on wet sand as you could easily burn the soles of your feet.

there are plenty of cafe's, bars and restaurants to choose from in the town itself (all nationalities) and all are reasonably priced.

Most people in Pefkos (tourists) tend to be either English or German.

You will love the place no matter if you like lively or peacfull - both are catered for.

Taxi to and from Lindos is about 6 euros each way buth there is a bus service that runs there (think it's every hour or half hour).
Hi . Someone on the Friends of Pefkos web site recorded a temperature in the sun today @ 66.5 C
Currently sitting in a villa near Lindos and it is hot and sticky. I would guess that the temp today was around 35c but the humidity makes it feel a lot higher.
I don't see the point of recording a temperature in the sun tpebop, do you? I mean if you sit a thermometer with the sun hitting it like a magnifying glass it will record just about anything or may even explode. Does it give them bragging rights or something?

Here in Canada we record both temperature and humidity and then combine them for what they call 'real feel'. So a temperature in the low 30's with high humidity can result in a 'real feel' of 40c. Last week we had a couple of days here (Southern Ontario) with temps in the 30s and real feels in the low 40s.

When I lived in the UK I used to wonder at people who said, 'it's cold today', when the temperature was around maybe 15c. What they were really referring to was the dampness which is of course humidity and how it made it 'feel' cold. But I never once heard of a weather forecast that talked about 'real feel' in regards to cold. They reported temperature 14c and ignored the dampness. Kind of like playing dumb to what the weather was really like.

Again here in Canada, in the winter we record temperature and also measure wind as that results in a wind chill which gives a lower 'real feel' than the temperature would indicate. So it might be -10c but with a wind chill could 'feel' like -20c.

The effect of humidity and wind can make a serious difference to how hot or cold it feels. A temperature of 30c in dry desert climate like Arizona for example is quite comfortable. There can also be quite a wide variation in temperature difference between sun and shade when you don't have humidity. So it might be 35c in the sun and 28c in the shade. Big difference just for getting into the shade.
OK lets get real here.

I am a certificated meteorological observer for aviation purposes and have been so for over 30 years. If we were to take this seriously we would need a mercusy in glass thermometer housed in a Stevenson Screen mounted 1 metre above a grass area not affected by local affects such as buildings within 200 metres.

Modern electric equivalents do a good job if correctly mounted out of direct sunlight. Stick one in direct sun and you will get B****x.

You are only going to get a reliable figure reported from the Rhodes airport and then correct it unreliably for your resort on the south or north of the island.

Generally speaking in Rhodes you will get around 28 to 31 c in the in August in the shade on the north coast rising to mid 30's on the south side. A 'heat wave' locally will give you 35 to 40 for a few days only.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.