Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
All the British in resort are being invited by the Mayor tomorrow night for free drinks in Naama to thank them for coming to Sharm. :tup
They are even being given free taxis from their hotels.
What a great time to be in Sharm :tup
Hello i need advice we booked to go in July flying with Jet 2 but booked hotel with a different company

Jet 2 have cancelled our flights with out even emailing me to say I'm gutted i only new when i went into my booking on line and flights had dissapeared :really

I phoned them yesterday all they said refund is on its way we dont no what to do as our balance on hotel is due soon
but we got to find flights

Do we wait till last minute to get flights will they go cheaper too attract custom ?

We have found flights with Thompsons and Thomas Cook but expensive at moment

Any advice please ?

My heart saying go some were else just dont want to book flights now then a month down the line get them cancelled again x
Can't make too many comments regarding Thomas Cook and Thomson flights, I know Easyjet go to Sharm, if that's where you are going and with them it's probably better to book sooner rather than later as their flight prices seem to go up the less seats left - sort of supply and demand.

Monarch also fly to Sharm so that might be someone else to look at, no idea what they are like, but my next holiday to sharm is flying with them.
off to sharm on tues, who else is goin and what hotel? :)
Not going for a while but when i do go I am booked for Hilton Sharks bay.

Have a good time tammy.

Doe :sun2
We're off to Tropitel Naama Bay tomorrow for 10 days - looking forward to it now, although has been a very uncertain couple of weeks. Sure the sun will shine and all will be good.
Hi Folks,

Off to Fuerteventura on Wednesday after swapping from Sharm due to the unrest and uncertainties BUT believe me we will return to Egypt in the future!

Why - well we were there last year and we had such a great time. We were able to visit places such as Cairo, the pyramids, the fantastic museum etc - what a holiday. I think we missed all that this year! :think

I hope the wonderful Egyptian people understand that when they achieve true democracy, which they want, then as long as we can visit and be safe we look forward to returning in the future, :tup

Trev
Hi Trev, looks like we will cross as we are returning from Fuertaventura on Wednesday but will be in Sharm in April. Glad the present troubles appear over and will keep our fingers crossed for a bright future. Have a great holiday in Fuerteventura - we have :)
DnP
Hi DonandPam,

Glad you've had a great holiday and we're looking forward to ours. Wish we were off to Sharm like you in April since I guess by then there should be no problems. :tup

As I said previously we can't wait to return to Egypt. Have a good holiday in April and let us know how things go for you, :sun2

Trev
Nile cruises to resume

UK tour operators are to resume Nile cruises at the end of this month after the Foreign Office lifted its ban on travel to Luxor.

Discover Egypt said it would re-launch charter flights from Gatwick and Manchester to Luxor on February 28. Red Sea Holidays said its Nile cruises would resume on February 28.

Other tour operators are expected to announce the re-launch of their programmes shortly since the Foreign Office is no longer advising against travel to Luxor.

Discover Egypt director Philip Breckner said: "We are delighted with this amendment to the Foreign Office advice for travellers going to Egypt and wishing to cruise the Nile and visit Luxor.

"The disruption to our programme and the operations following the onset of the disturbances was difficult for all concerned so naturally we are delighted with the news.

"From the start of the unrests we have been in constant contact with our ground handlers and partners in Egypt. We have received confirmation that hotels, Nile cruise boats and excursions are all ready to receive visitors."

Discover Egypt's weekly departures to Luxor were cancelled January 31 after the Foreign Office advised against all non-essential travel to Luxor due to the political unrest.

Following the resignation of Egypt's ruler, President Mubarak on February 11, tensions across the country have eased, though the Foreign Office is still advising against non-essential travel to the capital Cairo and Alexandria on the Mediterranean coast.

Operators have continued their programmes to Egypt's Red Sea resorts without interruption as the area has remained unaffected by the troubles.

With permission from Travelmole
TUI announces date for return to Luxor

Thomson and First Choice will resume travel to Luxor on February 23.

The operator says that its overseas staff are in the middle of auditing its hotels in the destination to ascertain they are safe and meet with strict health regulations.

The move follows the Foreign Office change in advice on travel to Luxor.

The operator added that since the FCO advice to Cairo, Alexandria and Suez remained unchanged, all excursions to Cairo would remain suspended.

A statement from the operator adds: "We are pleased to confirm that the situation in the tourist resorts of Sharm el Sheikh, Hurghada, Taba, and Marsa Alam continues to remain safe and is operating business as usual.

"The safety of our customers and staff in the country remains our top priority. Egypt is a very popular holiday destination amongst our customers and as the FCO advice has now changed for Luxor, and it is safe to do so, customers can now enjoy the holiday they have booked and paid for."

Major carrier dumps Sharm

British Airways is dropping its Gatwick to Sharm El Sheikh service from May.

The airline said the move was the result of poor sales rather than the recent uprising by pro-democracy protesters.

The three times weekly service will stop from May 2 although the airline said that it would be reviewing the route in time so wouldn't draw a line under the service altogether.

A spokesman said: "Based on current market conditions and current levels of expected demand for the summer, a Boeing 777 with 280 seats is not the right aircraft for Sharm-El-Sheikh.

"Unfortunately we do not have a feasible shorthaul solution for this route for the summer and have taken the decision to suspend our flights."

BA launched the Gatwick-Sharm El Sheikh route just last October. Franchise partner GB Airways had previously operated a service to the destination.

24 killed in Cairo

The Foreign Office is urging British nationals in Cairo to stay away from the downtown area and Tahrir Square following a violent demonstration which left 24 people dead and more than 200 injured.

In the worst clashes since the 18-day uprising in Egypt in February, that led to the resignation of Egypt president Hosni Mubarak, hundreds of people protesting against an attack on a church in the south of the country fought with more than 1,000 security force personnel.

The Foreign Office said visitors to Cairo should stay away from the downtown area and the streets around Tahir Square, the focal point of demonstrations earlier this year, and to avoid any further demonstrations.

It also warned that there has been disruption to flights at Cairo airport due to an air traffic control dispute, but this has now ended.

Foreign Office issues new Egypt travel warning

Britons are being warned to stay away from the Downtown area of Cairo following an escalation of violence in the Egyptian capital ahead of next week's elections for the People's Assembly.

The Foreign Office said urged Britons to avoid Tahrir Square, including the Egyptian Museum and the Downtown area of Cairo, where mass demonstrations have been taking place since last week.

Demonstrations have also taken place in Alexandria. Suez and six other cities across Egypt, although the Red Sea resorts remain calm.

So far more than 20 people have been killed in violent clashes with the police during and after the demonstrations, mostly in Cairo and one in Alexandria.

Several Britons were among those arrested during the demonstrations, said the Foreign Office, and it is warning nationals in Egypt to stay away from crowds and to carry ID at all times.

It added: "We strongly advise that British nationals stay away from Tahrir Square, including the Egyptian Museum and the Downtown area of Cairo including Maspero and the Interior Ministry.

"The situation is changing rapidly and we recommend that you follow events on local and international news and seek advice from tour operators."

Since the British Embassy is located in Garden City, which is near Tahrir and Downtown Cairo, if Britons in Cairo need to visit the Embassy they should call beforehand on 02 2791 6000 to check security.

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.