Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Messages all passed on Glynis, you will need another holiday for a rest by the time you are finished all your trips in Malta.

We are heading off to Turkey this morning so enjoy the remainder of your holiday Glynis :cheers
Am home! Enjoyed our visit to Malta and am glad we went :tup

Thursday we did the trip to Comino Blue Lagoon. The best thing about the visit was the boat trip itself. The boat set off south from Sliema passing Marsaxlokk etc. En route there was an informative commentary by the captain regarding the history of various points of interest. We were all given a free ham salad bun shortly after departure, and we'd booked a meal on the boat which was served shortly before docking at Comino. The meal was very welcome and enjoyable.

After our 2.5hrs sailing we arrived at the Blue Lagoon, we could tell straight away that it just wasn't going to be our thing, the tiny beach was chokka block with people all vying for a tiny piece of space. Deck chairs and umbrella's for hire at 4€ each were placed wherever there was a flat inch of rock. We had a little wander, sat up the hill on a rock for a while then headed back to the boat. We were there only 2hrs so didn't have too long to wait before we carried on sailing south, which meant we'd sailed round the whole of Malta, for the 1.5hr trip back to Sliema.

Friday we did the North of the Island tour and were able to visit Mdina again which we really liked. We carried on to Golden Bay but didn't bother to get off the bus as time was clocking on.

Saturday was spent wandering around Marsaxlokk and chatting with our new found friends from the apartments, before we set off on the 15min journey to the airport.

Malta airport was really nice we thought. Very clean. There's a nice outside area if you wish to smoke and even once through to your gate area there's a smoking area there too.

Now to my general opinion of Malta.

I loved the history of the Island, enjoyed the Malta Experience and Holy Infirmary of the Knights in Valletta along with, of course, St John's Cathedral. We liked St Paul's Catacombs more than the Hypogeum tour. If you are wanting to visit Hypogeum please book before you travel as we did, as, on arrival we found that the tour was fully booked until 23rd June.

Malta is the most densely populated Island in Europe and it does show at times. The traffic makes travelling around slow. For an area approx 17 miles by 10 miles I felt the Island was so much bigger due to the road system and amount of cars/busses etc.

We found the Maltese people very friendly.

Prices were very reasonable even in Valletta square café's. The entrances to museums etc are good too.

Would we go back? Yes, but would ensure that we visited around the same time of year as I would imagine the heat and amount of tourists in the height of the summer season would be way to much for us.

The new Arriva busses seem to be hit and miss with the Maltese. The general thoughts of someone we spoke to was that they are safer but that the routes now take too long to get from A to B.

Thanks to everyone who helped with my questions especially Graham who I mithered to death ;)
Oh decided to come home then... alright for some 2 weeks swanning around....don't worrie i will get my own back, :think we will return next may :cheers
glad to see from your daily splurge that you had fun

brian
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.