Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
hi,

Yes the shop is in Independence sqaure or as commonly called It-Tokk Square, in Victoria/Rabat Gozo. The shop has a website in fact but i cannot post it because this website doesnt let me, but if you search on google, and type gozo delicatessen click on the first website, or you can on it-tokk.com.

Regards,
Glen
I have lived in Malt since the mid eighties and during that period I have witnessed considerable change in Maltese wines.
Many Maltese are very proud and patriotism affects their pallet.
The truth is; Maltese wine has no heritage. Until the Second World War wine was produced in the most primitive way in Malta and sold in bulk from barrels.
After the war the two main wine factories (it would be misleading to refer to them as wineries) started bottling. The wine was produced from mostly imported grape juice of dubious origin and and sugar. The result was a potent liquid that vaguely resembled wine. This continued until the nineties when Emanuel Delicata pioneered a rethink and set about encouraging farmers to grow grapes and in properly managed vineyards. This had the duel effect of improving the quality of wine and tidying up the Maltese drystone walls that were used to secure the vineyard boundaries.
The wines of the two major producers did improve considerably but still lacked something. It was not until the birth of Meridiana that Maltese wines of true character and integrity arrived on our table. We can look forward confidently to an improvement across the board led by Meridiana.
When you next have the opportunity try their white, ISIS.

Paddy McKay
"patriotism affects their pallet"

I really hope you mean palate
I find it goes down the hatch very well, but then most wine goes down the hatch well.
I do remember having some wine on Gozo that was a local one and that was a bit sharp on the pallet, but most of the wine's from Gozo and Malta were nice.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.