France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Hi De Hi, my father in law is at the family home in Normandy at the moment and is snowed in! No passing traffic, enough food to last him 2 days, no telly and is hoping to get back home on Thursday.
pat wrote:
Hi De Hi, my father in law is at the family home in Normandy at the moment and is snowed in! No passing traffic, enough food to last him 2 days, no telly and is hoping to get back home on Thursday.

:yikes I hope he manages ok Pat
Hi Glynis,

I'm sure he will be fine .. he is as hard as nails lol! He is 78 years old and went over last Wed for a swimming competition in another part of France and decided to spend a few days at the family home (near Alencon) Problem is, it is in a pretty remote village at the bottom of a forest, but the locals tend to look our for each other, so I'm sure he will be OK.
Hope your dad is OK.

We are staying in a Chateau just outside St Malo and crossing on the tunnel! Hopefully the snow will be cleared and the roads open by next Monday!
Hi Glynis,

Yes it is lovely. Home actually belonged to my husbands grandmother ... she lived there by herself until the rip old age of 97, before having to go into a nursing home, and passed away at the age of 101, and she always enjoyed her tipple of red wine every day!!

Have spent many breaks over there various times of the year, and must say that we have never had any good weather when there ... much like over here!

Hi, Hi De Hi,

Father in law texted this afternoon ... said he had to dig himself out of nearly 3ft of snow this morning!! On th positive side he has the telly back on lol!!

Son and his girlfriend went over last Wed for 4 days via Euro Star ... pleased it wasn't this week! Fingers crossed for you for next Monday ... hope you have a lovely trip:))
Well I have done my packing. I also have a curver box full of all the stuff we have to carry these days for the kids we teach (epipens, medications, panty liners (it s girls school) sick bags and about a hundredweight of admin paperwork)!

We leave at 3am on Monday morning! 3am!
Be a lot of happy smiley girls faces at 3am ;)
Glynis HT Admin wrote:
Be a lot of happy smiley girls faces at 3am ;)

Not to mention the staff!
Hi De Hi,

Father in law arrived back in Dover about an hour ago. Journey from Alencon to Calais was horrendous took him 5hrs to get to Calais due to torrential rain :yikes Snow moreorless cleared now apart from being banked up on the sides near Calais ... strange, as you would expect it to clear around coastal areas first!

Hope weather improves for you, have a safe journey and hope you come back destressed :tup
Best of luck :)
Re: snow banks, we still have them in East Sussex near Kent despite heavy rain, strange.
Got back last night at 9.30pm in the middle of a blizzard in Brum! Didn't help that one child wasn't picked up until 10.30pm as none of the contact numbers I had for her parents either existed or were answered!

Weather in France was mixed. Hot sunshine one day and torrential rain the next. Got a bit of a sun tan!

Kids enjoyed themselves although only a few would try the snails and frogs legs the accomodation gave them one night! (Mind you I had what they didn't eat).

Wasn't impressed by the changes they have made at Mont St Michel.

In previous years the coach was able to drive across the causeway, drop of the group then go away again.

Now there is a huge coach park. 40E to park (60 in high season). Then a 30 minute trek to the far end of the parking site to queue for a shuttle bus across the causeway. This drops you about 300 metres from the town and you have to cross a building site to get into the walls. It looks like they are building a tramway across to the island. Same journey in reverse adds an hour overall to the travelling (which of course means 1 hour less in the town). How long this process will take in the busy season is anyone's guess!

Kids enjoyed shopping in the market. I also introduced them to Chi Chi's! I reckon that stall holder owes me some commission on sales!
Welcome back :tup Glad to hear the kids enjoyed themselves I hope the trip has left them with some long lasting memories.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.