Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
del949 wrote:

Did you want to tread on broken glass on the beach or in the sea then?

This is not going to affect foreign tourists unless they behave like domestic tourists :really
I didn't see anything where we were but OH went for runs along the beach and saw a real mess by Calangute steps.
Did you want to tread on broken glass on the beach or in the sea then?

Of course I don't, nor do I want anyone else to do so.
But I do want to enjoy a beer on the beach with my lunch.

I can't say that I have ever seen any broken glass on the beach, perhaps it varies from beach to beach. I spend most of my time on Candolim beach and glass is certainly not a problem there.
I would have thought that there was more danger of broken glass from glasses rather than bottles but there is no proposal to make plastic glasses compulsory.
If you read the original article....

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-04-24/goa/38789920_1_goa-beaches-goan-beaches-tourism-official

It is pretty clear that the new rule is not aimed at foreigners buying drinks at shacks served in glasses.

And even if they do choose to drink their beer from the bottle (disgusting anyway and positively dangerous in a hygene-free country like India), presumably most foreigners do not get blind drunk and throw their empty bottles into the sea?
I couldnt beleive how much glass rubbish and s**t there was on the beaches this year,we never use calangute beach for that reason but candolim getting as bad.
Talking to a goan friend and she was telling us indian tourists are now given a leaflet telling them how to behave and how to clean up after themselfs whilst on holiday.
It is pretty clear that the new rule is not aimed at foreigners buying drinks at shacks served in glasses.

I thought that it clearly included shacks serving beer to sunbeds.
Obviously not aimed at shacks serving beer at tables but many enjoy a beer whilst on sunbeds.
It has only been a few weeks since our return, and while sitting in the shack at lunchtime the tourist police operating from the lifeguards jeep, handed letters out to all shack owners informing them that drinks can no longer be served on the sun beds.
This I can only guess at is the amount of Indians (I haven't witnessed any other nationality doing this) who walk up and down the coastline with a bottle in hand, and then just throw the empty to the sea.
Candolim to Sinquerim, has been no different this season than others, but you do see broken bottles, light bulbs from the fishing boats/tankers and needles - non of these are something I want to place a foot on.
No need to stop shacks serving drinks on sunbeds, educate the tourists 1st
Kishen Kumar, Goas director general of police is reported in The Sunday Times as saying "What kind of human beings like to drink on beaches?" If he cared to investigate he would see that by far the main offenders are his own countrymen. But then the Goan Polices investigative powers have all too often been sadly lacking.
During our months stay last November I walked the beches between Candolim and Baga daily and the filth discarded on the beaches, by the local tourists was truly shocking. This ban, without very heavy policing, will do nothing to stop the thousands of short stay tourists from the rest of India,that are lured to Goa by the cheaper alchohol here, carrying on as usual . The vast majority of their supplies are bought off beach and simply consumed and discarded once they hit the beach from their buses etc.
We are just back from a month in Sydney, when you walk the length of the beach at Manley or indeed any of Sydneys beaches, busy yet spotless, not as much as a discarded cigarette end, you realise just how auful Goas beaches have become. I fear this latest ploy will do absolutley nothing to address the problem.
Alan
We often walk the length of the beach from Baga to Candolim and several times, especially at weekend around Calangute steps, groups of Indian men were drinking beers and quarter bottles of whiskey. When finished, they just leave the bottles behind.

On one occasion a group of young, smart and seemingly affluent Indian guys came onto the beach and sat drinking bottles of Kingfisher Strong. They had a good laugh and then just walked off down the beach, leaving 10 empty pint bottles on the beach. Unbelievable!

There seems to be a cultural issue about just leaving your mess behind and it's somebody else's job to clear it up. :que
The Konkan railway has really opened the door to the completely unwanted kind of tourist from the rest of India. The beaches are horrid, especially the more popular ones and the amount of rubbish people just throw on the floor is staggering. The Goan police are too busy making money on the side, usually from the beach sellers who despite being slightly annoying at times do see to respect the place they work in.
Unfortunately a lot of the domestic tourists just see Goa as somewhere to have a laugh in, go to the beach, drink some beer, occasionally drown themselves through stupidity and treat the whole place like a toilet.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.