Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
two month rule
19 Posts
Yes Bonksy the 2 month rule is there I think your cutting it real fine but you might just make it we shall see what the other members say ....Please God it will work out ok for you :cheers Colleen
Colleen,looks like there going to abandon the 2 month rule,i just put this post up on the visa thread for bonsky :cheers

Removed ....Sorry folks but as has been mentioned many times items cannot be re-produced or copied on to our website for © reasons, please only provide a link to the item.
  • Edited by Kiltman HT Mod 2011-06-29 18:07:11
    Removed for © reasons
Brilliant news!! Let's hope it actually materialises!!! :tup
Do you read that article like they are going to abandon the 2 month rule.
As I read it as - the Goa Government have asked them to abandon it because they know that it is affecting the number of long stay visitors to Goa - they have asked but not had a reply. This rule applies to the whole of India not just Goa.

It says a relaxation of this rule MAYBE possible not will be done.

Everybody hopes this will happen but Central Government makes the rules not Goa.
hi split can you post the link would like to read it
Dragon, there was a link on TA explaining about plans to do away with the 6 month tourist visa and just issue 12 month visas. It explained that this was planned to help the long termers.
If this is the case then it won't alter anything, as the 180 day maximum stay is still in force. Also, if the 2 month rule isn't changed then the 12 month visa is only effective for 10 months, meanwhile the cost of the visa will increase adding to an already increasing holiday cost.
Dragon - will email it to you - A sent it to us the other day.

Edit - if you read this first - have sent the article to you.
bindoobaba - the 12 month visa even with 2 months out does help long termers as they can apply for the visa now, book a cheaper flight knowing they don't have the worry of getting the flight and then wondering if they will get the visa ok so the extra money they pay is off set by the cheaper flight.
It does not come into force until the day of arrival in India so giving a full 6 months holiday instead of maybe 5 months and a week so no big electric and gas bills to pay in UK for 3 weeks :)
Bonksey
Last season we were leaving Goa on Sunday 12th December 2010 and planning to to return landing in Goa on Sunday 13th February 2011.

I emailed VFS to ask specifically if those dates were OK, here's the reply:

Thank you for your query,
Please note; you need to apply for a Multiple-Entry Tourist visa.
Please note that there should be a gap of at least 2 months between two visits to India on a Tourist Visa. This ruling applies to short term Tourist visas i.e. 6 Months and 1 year and does not apply to any other visa category. In view of the above provisions, if you are granted with a multiple entry Tourist visa which is valid till your next travel then you can re-enter India as per the dates specified by you.
Please be advised, if the applicant has travelled to India in the past two months then the applicant can apply for a fresh Tourist Visa only after a GAP of Two month from the last exit as the visa is valid from the date of issue.

so they referred to it as '2 month rule'.

When we checked in at Gatwick, the woman on the desk had a good long look at our passports and was counting on her fingers and then mumbled something about us not being on the list and disappeared off behind the desks.

Anyway, we were fine and the chaps at Dabolim immigration didn't bat an eye.
I think they have a calendar and cross each day off so they know the day that somebody is allowed back in.

When you say you return on 31st Jan, is that the date you fly out of the UK or the date you land in Goa?
If you leave 1/12 & land back 31/1, it's not really 2 full months - imho.

I'd check with VFS for the definitive answer.
Waterproof, the visa is active from the date it is issued not when you arrive in India.
The point I was getting to was that even with a 12 month visa, 180 days is still the maximum anybody can stay in India. While the 2 month rule is still there it hardly encourages the long termers as they have to leave the country for 60 days before they can return.
I think you will find that most "long termers" only want 6 months in India - November to April is usually long enough (unless you want to live there permanantly) but most people I know like to be out of UK just for the Winter period. The only problem is those who wish to return to UK for Christmas or a family problem.

6 month visas are active from the date of issue - On a 12 month one I can stay in the country for 6 months from the day of entry but the 12 months period starts on the day of issue.
I obtained a 12 month tourist visa last month. It allows me 180 days max stay and then 60 days out of India not 2 months. Printed quite clearly on the visa
Hello everyone,

Some months are 28,30 or 31 days long. We are out of Goa for exactly 60 days but I think we still need to get in touch with VFS.

Many thanks to all that replied to our query. Will let you know how we get on.

Bonksy :que
hi bonksy
it is a 60 day rule so you will be o.k.
Why don't people stay out a couple of days extra just to make sure ? :que
Hi

Just received a reply from a Rosanne D'souze at VFS:- PLEASE NOTE THAT THE RESTRICTION ON TOURIST VISA IS OF EXACT 60 DAYS i.e. YOU CAN
RE-ENTER INDIA ON A TOURIST VISA ON OR AFTER THE 61st DAY FROM THE DATE OF RETURN.
We arrive back in India on the 61st day. HAPPY. HAPPY. HAPPY.
We made it!!!

MANY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
Bonksy :rofl :rofl
Bonksey
That's great news.

I think they (VFS/HCI) make it even more confusing because they refer to the gap as both '2 month' and '60 day' rule.

Why don't people stay out a couple of days extra just to make sure ?

Maybe because if you're travelling on a charter flight, they don't go every day.

Some people are constrained by how many days they can have off work so a Saturday flight may work well for them.
They may only be able to return 2 months (or 60 days) after they left Goa the last time.
Maybe because if you're travelling on a charter flight, they don't go every day.

Some people are constrained by how many days they can have off work so a Saturday flight may work well for them.
They may only be able to return 2 months (or 60 days) after they left Goa the last time.

Good point ! Didn't think of that, especially if it's a cheap last minute deal someone wants to grab.
cheers Dave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.