General Chat

Start a debate or just have a natter its all happening in the General Chat forum!
For annual holiday insurance I haven't been loyal to anyone for more than 2 years - they all take the p***
...and jack up the premiums!!!

However,can't speak about speed of payouts as I've only made one claim in 30 years - for a delay of 24 hours on departure - and the company we were using then,paid out in ~ 2 months which seemed to be the norm at the time.
I agree, no such thing as loyalty to an insurance co.
to get the best deals you need to be a new customer every year as they all jack up the prices for existing customers.
No experience in payout speeds.
I've used the same company for a number of years. They certainly aren't the cheapest (the premiums aren't bumped because we are existing customers though) but unfortunately I've had to make a few claims (delay, cancellation) both of which I had a cheque back within a week of them receiving the claim. Hospitalisation, where we made one phone call to them. They paid everything direct to the hospital, and rang every morning to see if we needed anything else.
No two claims are alike though, so because we've never had any problems, doesn't mean that someone else hasn't or won't.
I might be 'paying through the nose' for it, but to me that doesn't matter. They offer the cover I need and unless their customer service slips, or they cease to offer the cover I need, I will be quite happy to carry on using them.
I usually go through my broker, and fortis i have used for many years when going to Egypt. I also waive the excess so if i claim i get all the money back, not having to pay the first £50 for example is a bonus. One time i went to egypt and needed my ears shringing, i couldn't have it done in the UK (my gp does not do it) I got an infection and had to claim for shringing and antibiotics etc. Because i claimed the year before for cramps and diarrhoea in Sharm they had a cheque the next day on my mat. For a year policy for two f us its around £100 with excess waived.

Unfortunately this year in Mexico i had to claim, only for £28, but it took 6 weeks for that amount of money to come back as a cheque. Ok i know i got it back, but the waiting time i was not used to as Fortis repay straight away. Well either that or i have been lucky. The white horse insurance was over a hundred with my travel agents, and that was just for two weeks.
Only ever made one claim - broke my ankle 6 weeks before travelling and Doc said i could'nt fly as I was in full plaster. Our insurance paid out with no problems but can't say how it would have gone if we had been abroad at the time. Also, because of our ages and 'sir's' medical issues we have to shop around - at the moment Staysure are good for us but may not suit you. Hope you find what you need. xx
I always use insure and go Michelle for our anual insurance. You can get cheaper but they are up there with the more competitive although I do have to wait a few weeks for payment . I always check at renewal time but they suit our needs and cover a good range of extra activities that others dont. I usually get the silver policy and tick the box on the final page for excess waiver that adds just a few pounds . I've made afew claims over the years .. not biggies but they paid on each occasion no problem. Once for a flight delay , an other when we rented a cottage in cornwall and I left my GHDS on and burnt the fabric on a chair . :( and another when my son went diving with his ipod still in his pocket. Didnt think they would cover that but they did.
Never thought of insure and go, I will have a gander, thank you
Got a competitive quote from Insure and Go in 2011 including pre existing medical conditions BUT they jacked the premium up a lot when renewal was due Sept 2012; however, I phoned them (which took a lot of persistence to get thru!!) and got the premium back down to only a little more than 2011 quote. :tup
I had previously used SAGA but they likewise jacked up the premium (by 38%!! :yikes ) in 2011 -and wouldn't compete on price when I phoned.
Have used Atlas Direct in the past but changed to Staysure last year. Haven't claimed ever, so cannot comment on service. Can agree with Saga comments above, they have same attitude to their motor insurance!
I have done a quote for both stay sure and insure and go, both of them for a year policy are at least £30 more than my usual one. Will keep looking. thank you for your replies x
we use Columbus direct my previous insurer wanted £ 160 for 2 weeks in florida last july Columbus charged £89 for the same cover bearing in mind I do have quite a few medical conditions both me and hubby got insurance for our holiday to Bulgaria in a weeks time for £58 for the 2 of us with Columbus he also has high blood pressure I think that's a good price hope you find some soon :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.