Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
hotel/area
4 Posts
Hi,

Goa is a lovely place, but not the best when it comes to wheelchair access. I have seen a few people in wheelchairs so it is possible, I would say Baga/Calangute/Candolim although convenient when it comes to choice etc, once you get out of your hotel it might just be too busy and there aren't proper paths and when there is, rarely suitable for wheelchairs. The traffic in the North is chaotic (which adds to the charm, but probably not in your case).

Panjim might be a better choice, there's the marriot hotel and pretty sure it would be easy enough to get out and about, also Sinquerium there's the Taj Holiday Village, it is just south of Candolim and is quieter than the 3 beaches to the north (baga,calangute,candolim).

There's also Grand Hyatt Goa in Banbolim which has large grounds which would be good if you expect to stay most of the time at the hotel (it's also on the beach but think there's steps down to the beach, although this is a posh place and if asked I'm sure they would sort some kind of ramp.

All of these are upmarket hotels so I assume will be pricey. Another suggestion would be Dona Silvia in Cavelossim, this is south goa so will be quieter (better for wheel chair access on roads (it's normal to walk on roads here, cows do it, dogs do it... :) They also have large grounds which I think would be fully accessible (but perhaps someone else can confirm as I haven't been there for a while), they are directly connected to beach, although i think pretty soft sand (which would be a problem). But it would be easier to get out and about, although not so much to see. This is probably the best choice in the lower price bracket but it's a lovely hotel. (they are usually?? all inclusive here, good food too)

I think all places will have showers, although some might be combined, generally showers are the norm in Goa, drives me insane as I miss soaking in a bath!!!

Very cheap to eat / drink outside

Airport : you can get taxi's at the airport and LOTS of people do this to get to their destination quicker, it would usually cost £10 - £15 for a taxi to most resorts in Goa. They are generally small vans with good access (although a little high), but plenty of room for wheelchair, bags, family of 10, 2 pigs, 10 fish, motorcycle etc - It's India!!!! :)
Hope this helps
poipleshadow thank you so much for you reply it has really helped I will have a look at the hotels suggested myself im quite happy to go to a nice all inclusive hotel and stay there just to relax but hubby gets itchy feet and has to get out and about im chuckling to myself about your last comment about the taxis don't think I would like to share with all them people :rofl that does worry me a little as I cannot climb into something high and being a large lady don't think they could help me if you think of anything else I would really appreciate it :cheers
Glad to be of help. I can't think of anything at the moment, but if you have any questions then do fire away, I am happy to help....
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.