Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
First time post so not sure if I am doing this right! We are going on the Thomson Dream on 13th January 2013 (Bridgetown, Venezuela, Tobago, Grenada, St Vincent and then St Lucia) and spending a week in Bridgetown Barbados first. Please can anyone give me advice on what currency to take? Is it better to take local currency, use my debit card, take travellers cheques or just take US dollars?
Thank you
Queenjude,

Welcome onboard :tup
I would take US Dollars as they are widely accepted in all the countries you are visiting. If you need any local currency, you can get it there as and when. Change will likely be given in local currency and it may be needed in local markets. I wouldn't bother with travelers cheques as it means finding a bank and exchange rates or commission will make then less value for money, although they do give a degree of protection. I would have a debit or credit card for emergencies, but wouldn't rely on it in case you have a problem and its refused or blocked. Cash is the most reliable but ensure its kept safe at all times, use safes where your travel insurance will cover it.

Darren
Thank you for this reply! We are travelling from the UK and having looked online the advise is so confusing. Some seem to say just use my debit card. I have registered it with my bank for my holiday and my husband is reluctant to get US dollars so I am trying to convince him. Do you definitely think US dollars are best? I really appreciate your advice :)
queenjude,

I've been travelling to the Caribbean region and around the world since 2003 (and most of europe prior to that) and will be visiting the Caribbean in March, US Dollars are the best to take. While credit / debit cards are useful, I just wouldn't rely on them personally. Not only are there associated charges when using them, what happens if you lose it, a cash machine swallows it or it has a marker put on it and is stopped? Even if you let your bank know you are going abroad, the new security systems in place aren't failsafe and sometimes block them. I speak from experience! It's then a major hassle and expense phoning the UK to get markers removed. Bear in mind larger outlets may take credit and debit cards, but many won't, especially local markets and shops. It's not like in the UK were plastic is accepted pretty much everywhere. You'll be fine on the cruise, but it's when you get off the fun begins! Duty free areas you'll be fine, it's when you leave these areas and get out and about in your destinations. I'll be taking cash with me in March, putting it in the safe as soon as I can and have my cards as back-up or larger purchases. Many do the same. Ultimately, it's down to what you feel safe doing but with going on a cruise and stay, you'll probably find changing travellers cheques a pain and the commission charges high. I'd take US Dallars for when you're out an about and cards for the cruise or any larger purchases.

Darren
i agree with darren take a couple hundred us dollars for daytrips etc. use your visa/debit card for anything you spend on the ship.
Excellent! Thank you so much for your advice. Can't wait for Sunday.
travelling to Mexico fist time for several years but have heard cant use US dollars now is it true should i just take Peso`s now ,thanks for any help
Hi,Going to Jamaica in January and will be taking US dollars,but we still have several sterling TCs left,will we be able to change them very easily in Jamaica? Any advice or tips would be most welcome.....our first time to Jamaica.Thanks
cpclarkes, it would be best to just take Peso to Mexico, you may be able to use some USD, but you may find that if you can't use it out there, you can exchange the USD whilst you are out there nonetheless. You will find smaller independent companies would prefer the Peso currency where as larger chains may allow some leeway.
Hi does anyone know what exchange rate is for the pound against peso in Mexico just now
thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.