Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi Phil,

Where abouts are you going to? Some resorts that have a more european clientel rather than British prefer the heuro, for example Antalya, whereas others I wouldn't bother with the euro. I'd normally take a small amount of lira to get me by for a couple of days while you're settled, and take the rest in sterling and change it locally as you'll get a better exchange rate in Turkey normally with markets etc happy to accept sterling anyway.

Darren
Ah right. I'm off to Belek, so take a bit of Lira then change up, the rest when I arrive?

Cheers, Phil
I would say so Phil, always been better when I've been and is the general consensus here.

Darren
Thanks Darren,

I shall go and get some Turkish Lira to take. :)
Cheers, Phil
I'm going to get mine tonight. I only ever change £50 worth before I go. It's always a better rate in resort.
Happy hols! 4 more sleeps until I go. :sun2
Thanks minione! Def seems like a very good idea not sure why I didnt think of it. lol

Although im going to a hotel that isnt near any other shops so I might get stung at the hotel but its worth the risk :)
I have 5 more sleeps cant wait :)
I am going 4 weeks today but I am going to change sterling over there as the rate is rising and is 2.88tl at the moment. :tup
No where in the UK will give anywhere near that.
I think I might take some just to be on the safe side.

But minimal then ill get the rest changed up out there :)
I agree phill take sterling and change in the resort daily to lira.the exchange rate in turkey is far better than uk and shop around as if you change in post office in turkey you may get a little higher rate than some shops but they charge commision where the shop (usually a jewlers) dont charge. most places will have the rates on boards.
If you are from the Uk then take a small amount of lira and either exchange sterling or withdraw lira from the ATMs. Don't bother with euros.
why not take your debit card.
Some Bank accounts types won't charge for transcations
and the rate is what it is on the day
We now use debit cards. We always have some lira left over from previous trips to start us off, I take some sterling for emergencies and then I use my debit card. There are charges but the rate of exchange has always been good and the convenience makes up for it. This year I used my credit card in Migros and was pleasantly surprised with that when the bill came. The rate of exchange was better than anything I got in resort and the charges were minimal so it kind of balanced out. I wouldn't use that method for cash though as it wouldn't be cost effective. We self cater so the Migros bill was about 300 lira.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.