EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
I've yet to find a website that translates a block of words, just one that translates one word at a time.

Maybe there is someone on this forum that's fluent? I am learning Turkish but am nowhere near fluent :oops: I really only know the very basics at the moment. One day!!

Good luck, I hope you can find someone that can translate it for you
Hi, do you own a property in Turkey? If so maybe you could ask your estate agent for translation help?
yeah there is no such web site translates a letter for free. If you ok to pay fee for each word I can try to find one of this sites for you..

I am Turkish, and my Turkish is much better than my english.. :oops:

If its urgent, PM me and I try to translate it for you
go to google and type in babelfish - this should help
Thanks everyone,, Denizturan, i have sent you a pm..
we didnt buy through an estate agent,, we bought straight from the builder
so we dont have anyone we can contact at the moment.
if you want me to give you a hand i live in Turkey..am from Wales i read and write turkish. (my email is *****) you must tell the bank you want correspondence in english. Or if you are with one of the big banks (Turkiye İş Bankasi, Yapi Kredi, Garanti, hsbc.).they all have sites on the net and all have an english version . Send them an email in english explaining your problem.

*Edit email removed for members protection. Please use PM facility. - Glynis*
cici,

I have sent you PM
Just out of curiosity - you dont happen to bank with HSBC in Marmaris do you?? Just that a friend of ours who banked with HSBC got a letter out of the blue last week and she brought over to us for my hubby to translate -All is was is that they were informing all there customers of a change in address

cheers

LA
Hi,
We also bank with HSBC in Marmaris - and had the same letter I assume. I scanned it in and asked our agent who said it is a change of address, but didn't happen to say where to. Do you know where they are moving to, is it still in Marmaris? Also when we bought our apartment last year we put £50 in our account, but haven't needed to touch it yet, out of interest do you know if we will have been charged? I have heard stories where people leave a small amount of money and end up with none, because the account has had charges deducted monthly
Alfie,

Unfortunately, banks in Turkey charge a small fee per month as account management fees... :? Some banks deduct this amount from your balance at the end of each month, and some charge this fee every 6 months. HSBC deducts it monthly, and if I remember correctly, it is 2 YTL per month.
Alphie

Cant rememeber specifically where it was moving - it was across from tansas i think...... And sure they said the move was happening in september

Cheers

LA
Thanks everyone,
Yes it was from HSBC and it was a letter about a change of address. but still no wiser as to where they have moved to??
Thanks also from us. If is is near Tansas I'm sure we will be able to find it!
Hi
I dont know if this will help, but we have also bought a villa in Turkey, Gumusluk. However, we are quite lucky because we have an excellent Turkish Kebab house and Restaraunt here in England, and we are very friendly with the staff. If we have a major document to translate we take it there.

Best of luck
Olya
I like the idea of getting translations done by your local kebab house. If you want to use a proper translator (of which I'm one, but I don't do Turkish) you could try my professional body, http://www.iti.org.uk. A short letter shouldn't cost too much.
A little thing about translators, I have to use them in the course of my business and I have become very careful who I use why? Well a while back had to get a legal document translated(one that had been approved by an english speaking lawyer).The translator without actually reading it said this is wrong!! I asked him if he had read it and he said "no but its wrong I should be writing this document" I then asked him if he was a trained lawyer to which he replied no so I told him to stick to translating and let the lawyers do the legal stuff, he got the hump so I said right forget the document just translate these two passports. This he did and in the twenty words he had to translate he made four mistakes, so I had to get him to do it again, needless to say it took some of the wind out of his sails and also I shall not be using him again. A good way to make sure your translation is accurate is to get them to translate it into Turkish first and then translate it back to English from the Turkish copy, if they come out the same all well and good. Also if its an important document and you have to sign the Turkish copy sign it with the statement that your are signing believing it to be an accurate translation of the English document. thus if it is not then it will not stand as a legally binding agreement.
It's been 17 years but I'm posting just in case someone needs something important translated and doesn't have a Kebab House nearby :)
I agree with pjg - find an accredited translator from ITI or CIoL (https://www.ciol.org.uk/) - I'm a Chartered Linguist and if it's about law/legal, finance, business/management I'll be happy to assist too. My website is https://halukaka.net

All the best.
Haluk
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.