General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Venice would certainly be memorable and romantic. There's plenty to see and do there, whatever the weather.
Yes Venice would get my vote and if your budget can stretch to it take a private water taxi from the airport, pricey but definitely memorable!
Is Venice expensive when you are there?
Yes it can be - but it is also possible to stay and eat at a reasonable price if you are careful - check the menu before you enter and check if they slap on an extra cover charge and 12% service charge, as happened to us in one place. The trick is to walk a couple of streets away from the main tourist areas, which are St Marks Square and the Rialto. You don't have to walk far and you can find all inclusive tourist menus from about 15 euros.

Don't bother with a gondola, unless you really want to, at 73 euros for 50 minutes, it will make a hole in your budget. Instead get a day pass on the water busses for about 12 euros each and take the no 1 up the grand canal and back, sit outside for a fantastic view.

If your budget won't stretch to 100 euros for a water taxi, get a 10 euro ticket on the aligaluna and still arrive by boat, if a little slower. It was well worth it as Venice is so unlike anywhere else.
What about Edinburgh or Glasgow? Either of them would probably fit the bill.

luci :wave
Now I like the sound of Edinburgh - where is the best place to stay centrally for sigthseeing/nightlife?

There are a couple of centrally located Travel Inn/Premier Travel Lodge places. I will be staying at the Carlton Hotel on North Bridge this weekend which is very central and booked it through http://www.laterooms.co.uk

luci :wave
Venice in November can be chilly, foggy and unromantic! How about a weekend in Marrakesh?
Now that sounds interesting! Have you been, can you give me more details, where to stay, where to go, where not to go etc?
:wave
Because of the time of year....what about a xmas market somewhere?

We were in Rome early december last year and it was surprisingly mild!
How about Munich, its a lively city with the added bonus of being near the alps(probably snow covered in November). Depending on what part of November you anniversary is there may be a Christmas Market downtown. Easyjet do cheap flights from Stansted.
I know it's a little cliche, but we went to Paris for our honeymoon last year. It was wonderful. Plenty of great places to eat and be romantic. You can eat out at very reasonable prices, although you can certainly easily push the boat out too, if you wanted. It certainly cheaper than London if you were to compare capital with capital!
A Paris restaurant guide is useful. It's not great if you are a vegetarian, however.
I recommend Expedia for hotel searches.
What about Rome?
Lots of low cost airlines fly there now.
If you can't afford Venice what about Amsterdam ?
You can get there from most UK airports it's reasonably priced, pretty and has canals and lots of cosy cafes and eateries! Most Amsterdammers speak English and theres lots to see - it's not just sex and drugs.
Amsterdam is lovely, there is a nice meal at the floating chinese restaurant, a evening float down the canals with candle light and wine, some lovely restaurants, daytime there are some nice places to see ann franks house, van gough museum, and the heineken experience. Then just to get you in the mood a walk down the red light area is certainly a eye open. It really is a must just to see.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.