Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Hi Mavis,

It is 200 per person who can legally smoke.

This is because Bulgaria is not in the EU, and Bulgarian law limits what you can take out of Bulgaria to 200 per adult.

The full rules that apply are at -

Customs

Peter
:( Oh well that won't keep me going long> when we went to turkey bought home loads and still ran out by xmas!!! :cry:
Just got back from Sunny Beach, we flew from Bourgas. Not sure if you are aware but the airport does not accept any credit/debit cards at duty free. Cash only, be it levs, euro's or sterling.

(Post edited to remove bold font as per rules of posting- Fiona Ht mod)
You need to be aware that all bags get screened at the airports and that some of the police are very sharp shall we say at finding them. Money has been known to be charged prior to you leaving and people caught at the UK end. Possible tip offs ?
I agree at Bourgas airport this year they were very sharp eyed.
We had 400 ciggies in one of our hand luggage bags and got stopped.
They tried to tell my husband he had too many. He explained that 200 were mine and they were ok with that.
I`m not condoning smuggling but each to their own. For the last 2 years we have brought back 1200 Victory each year.
My thoughts are that they are so cheap we didnt stand to lose too much if they were confiscated at either end, so we were willing to take the risk.
I agree that everyone is free to make up their minds regarding bringing excess cigarettes out of Bulgaria, but it should be an informed decision with regard to possible consequences.

At the Bulgaria end it is an offence to attempt to export more than 200, the very least consequence of which is that they are confiscated. You could be detained long enough for you to miss your flight, or even be arrested and brought before a Bulgarian court.

At the UK end, once again confiscation is the very least you can expect, prosecution and a hefty fine could follow.

With this information now before you, you can judge for yourselves if it is worth the risk!!

Peter
Thanks Peter, and now I think it is time to let this discussion close.
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.