France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Ferry Crossings
8 Posts
Dunno about prices, but anytime we have went to Brittany (Vannes) we have usually went via Portsmouth to St Malo (the price was always included in the package!) Suppose it depends on how far you are driving....as we are coming all the way from Central Scotland, it's just good to get down to Portsmouth and know you can rest on the ferry overnight........not that i end up doing that, the entertainment on board is quite good!!! :lol:
I travel to Franch every month. Have done so for last 10 years. Brittany Ferries were a good bet about 5 years ago but and this is a big BUT in the last month their prices have doubled. This is because P and O have pulled out of the long crossing so Brittany Ferries now have a monopoly. For the last year I have been doing the short crossing from Dover. Speedferries are the cheapest and I find they are now the best value. You may have a very long drive the other side but travelling along the A16, A29 etc is very good and empty most of the time. The toll road and extra petrol still makes it cheaper. Fill up at Le Clerc just outside the ferry port on the road to the A16 and that will get you to Brittany. If you want a stop off on the way for an overnight break try http://www.bandbnormandy.co.uk very helpful and excellent breakfasts.
Ive done Plymouth to Roscoff a couple of times, as I know some people down in Landerneau. I'm not so keen on the journey, but Brittany really is beautiful once you get there. Im not a great sailor to be honest and the sea can be quite rough in winter, plus its a long journey (overnight 8hrs, day 6hrs) so if you do an overnighter, check that the ferry is still sailing out before you get there (once had a 24 hour delay because of bad weather) and get a reclining chair with a decent blanket cos it can get quite cold as well.......
For prices check http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk you should be able to get a 2006 quote from there.

If you do go via Roscoff, dont miss out Brest because its fab for shopping and the city is unmissable with its unique fountains. Also dont miss Mont St Michel and all the Normandy history as its fab!!!!!

ENJOY where ever you choose!!
Hi Kerri

We have Property Owners membership and just had the 2006 sailing schedules sent by Brittany Ferries. Might also be on their website by now.

PM me if you want specific dates. Prices depends on number of passengers and what kind of vehicles, cabin etc. I would recommend cabin for overnight sailings (especially if you are going to drive further south) as recliners are not very comfortable and as someone said, it is very cold in that lounge.

Cic
WE travel regularly on Portsmouth to Caen route, all year round.

Take a sea sickness tablet & a cabin. You'll be fresh for the next day then. Sea sickness is a nasty experience....better safe then sorry.

Annie22
New Ferry Company
LD Lines are a new company that start operating it appears from 3rd of October doing the Portsmouth Le Havre route. http://www.ldlines.co.uk will link you to site but no details know as yet apart from what is on the front page
They state crossings will be from £10
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.