Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
I guess the first question is ....are you talking about the Oktoberfest in Munich? If so it actually lasts for 3 weekends (and the two weeks in between). It always finishes in the first weekend of October..whatever date that falls in (the sunday).

Basically its a massive affair. The major breweries have their own tents which hold thousands of people. open from 11am to midnight all days.

Its obviously very popular and be aware hotels book up months in advance so if you are going you should consider to bopok sooner rather than later. That also includes the flights...they rocket during the festival period. Its a wonderful occasion...lots of excitement and a massive fair ground as well. And when i say massive i mean MASSIVE!

The whole city buzzes (it always does in Munich anyhow) and in my opinion it is one of the best cities in europe with or without the festival lived there for 4 years).

Hope that helps a bit.

Nivsy
Hi,Nivsy,Yeh you're right,it is the Oktoberfest we are interested in,that info is very much appreciated,cheers.
We are actually going to decide over next weekend,so will book up as soon as we have decided to go(I'm pretty confident) :yipee It sounds great,up till now the only part of Munich I have been to is the airport,so,am really looking forward to it.
Thanks again for your reply
Debbi
there is the possibility to camp near the oktoberfest in munich, it's near enough that you can walk and the bus/tube shuttleservice is cheap. And you can get a place to sleep there (they also rent tents) on short notice ... we went there (on weekdays) and got a place without problems ...
If you are interested in this, I could get you the link for the campsite

Mina
Hi
I live in Bavaria and travel between Munich and the Uk on a regular basis, the cheapest flights to Munich are usually with Easyjet from Stansted, though BA sometimes have very reasonable deals from Heathrow and Gatwick if you book very early. Flights from other UK airports are usually expensive. Another possibility is Ryanair to Friedrichshafen from Stansted but you would then have to hire a car for the drive to Munich (about 2hrs) but the flights are usually dirt cheap and you would pass some beautiful scenery, though I would imagine if you are booking so far ahead you will not have any problems getting a flight into Munich.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.