Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Hi Savannah - you don't say where you are staying, but if you're going to Paphos you'll be spoilt for choice. It seems there's an exclusive jewellers on every corner and they all attract me like a moth :roll: like the Athos Diamond Center

I've bought a few pieces, not exactly cheap, but of very good quality and different to anything you'd find over here for the price. But never pay the asking price and don't forget to reclaim the tax.

Happy shopping :)
We're going to book for Paphos or Protaras. Roughly how much is the gold priced at? is it quite expensive?
Also... how do I claim the tax back?? :roll: I haven't got a clue hehe
don't forget to reclaim the tax.

And declare at customs - Remember you are only allowed to bring in £145.00 of gifts and it will be classed as such.

fwh
only allowed to bring in £145.00 of gifts

I am sure that only applies when returning from outside of the EU :?:

Ady

Edit: Just checked HM Revenue and Customs and the £145 is only mentioned for outside EU.
Savannah,

When you purchase jewellery, watches etc. ask the shop for a Tax slip, they stamp it with the purchase value.

On arrival at the airport there's a tax reclaim office just before security, take you slip in and you receive a tax refund :wink:

I'm not sure but i think the office might have moved to inside the departure hall, anyway you can ask and someone will point you in the right direction.

Happy shopping
I agree you will be spoilt for choice, the jewellery shops are fantastic. Gold seems to be all 18 ct.

I am going to Cyprus next month so no doubt I will be tempted ...again!

Last time I went, just after they'd joined the EU, the shopkeepers were no longer giving the tax reclaim certificates as they reckoned the tax can't be claimed back now they are in the EU . There seems to be some confusion about this. Can anyone confirm what is correct?
We always purchase a piece of jewellery or glasses and have always reclaimed the duty, but last year we were advised we couldnt.

If I am not mistaken I am sure that on the Customs Office door at Paphos airport, there was a notice stating this too.

Kath HT Admin
Well at least they sell 18ct gold and thats what I needed to know. Whether or not you can reclaim the tax Im sure the prices are alot cheaper than here in England.

Savannah :)
Savannah stay clear of resort jewellers we have been going to Cyrpus now about 12 times throughout the years. I bought a ring of £100 and it was roughly £25! when valued. However many years ago we were recommended a jeweller in Dherynia a village not far from Paralimini the shop is called G.A.MELEKKIS he was a website which you can check out, local people buy their jewellery there. I was lucky enough to be bought a diamond eternity ring with diamonds right round it, won't say price we paid but had valued back home by a good jeweller £350 was added on to the price we paid in Cyprus.

He has also help design the 'So solid Crew' bling, bling (one of the band are from Cyprus!!!). If you want a piece designed he will also make it for you. He sends a chauffuer driven car to your hotel to be picked up but you can also go by the local bus. His prices range from good to very expensive.

He cut my ring off little finger and made it to fit my daughter free of charge as a gift, you wouold not get that back home!! He also valued my friends necklace that she bought in Aiya Napa and told her something you don't need to know!!!.

Hope this helps! Sorry long reply :D
Thanks Thats handy to know! :wink:

I think you have to be careful anyway when your buying gold abroad.

Can you suggest any good jewellers in Protaras?
:D Hi Savannah

No I wouldn't buy in resort again! I bought my £100 ring in economou jewellers which is still open that is the ring that is worth £25! You can ask your receptionist in hotel they will definitely recommend outside jewellers.

Dherynia is about 15 minutes from Protaras. We also bought a engagement ring last year in a design of a star with diamond in middle, £275 valuation here £350.

Bye
I can't speak for the jewellers in Protaras as I always go to Paphos and have found the jewellery there to be well worth the money. For example, I bought a diamond ring a couple of years ago, paid about £550 GB for it, valued within a couple of months by a quality jeweller at £1000! Also a watch, paid £350, seen it on websites for £500. So they're not all crooks - just choose carefully. Good luck with finding what you want.
We usually buy something every year from a jewellers, and ofcourse it varies in value each time. The thing we like the most about the jewellery over there is the designs, which make British stuff look bland. They are so much more interesting than over here.
Most of the items are 18ct. gold, but unlike here they do not raise the price because of it. However, the jewellers do vary and the ones in the old town ( Paphos ), tend to be better than the ones down the front which obviously cater for us tourists.
Amber and Karl :wave :yipee
Thanks for that guys. I definately be ckecking out the jewellery shops :wink:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.