Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
e111
10 Posts
I mel please check this link for information about the old E111 Click Here

Also please do not post in phone text style as it's against the rules of posting as displayed in your message box.

Thanks
Click on the red text which "Please Note: E111 Is No Longer Valid From 31st Dec 2005" near the top of the page.

Bulgaria is not yet in the EU, and the Dept of Health Advice is THIS

Peter
The official line is that whilst Bulgaria is not in the EU, it does have a reciprical medical agreement with the UK. To get this, you should take your NHS card for some free/subsidised health care.

My partner and I decided to go for incredibly comprehensive travel insurance (STA travel- £17pp for a week, not just for students!). I did apply for the new EHIC card which has replaced the E111, and it arrived within 3 days, but then found out that it is invalid in Bulgaria.
Yes Mazza, thats exactly what Peters link says.

It also says that state medical care is very limited. Don't rely on it. You really need private care in Bulgaria not public wards if you are so unlucky as to require it.

Patka
thanks for the replies where will i get an nhs medical card from is that just the card you get when you sign up with your local gp. :oops: ps sorry if i sound thick but ive never been away on my own before and im worrying abou everything :?
Hi Mel,

There's information HERE, but hey, you need proper travel insurance when travelling abroad, and don't skimp on it.

Peter
i have got the thomas cook classic insurance there is medical insurance on there i paid 26.99 for the 2 weeks hope thats ok and ill take my medical card aswell thanks for the replies
Hi Mel,

Thomas Cook having been arranging holidays since 1841, so I reckon they know a thing or two about about the business. You're doing it right so don't worry, but many people don't realise that such things as para gliding might not be covered. Not going to affect me much now, but think of this -
In 2004 minding my own business and without warning, halfway through a holiday in Tunisia I was rushed into a clinic with pneumonia and pleurisy. The 14th February it was, could have been my own private St Valentine's massacre. Luckily I was well covered by insurance, because I'm sure that the 8 days in a clinic plus cost of the subsequent air ambulance would have been a sizeable percentage of the value of my house.
That's what insurance is all about, making sure you are covered if the totally unpredictable happens.

Peter
thanks i dont know what i would have done wihtout finding this website its benn a godsend thanks :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.