Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Hi , Glad to hear you had a good time again.
Couple of questions, What time did you arrive and leave? read on another site people were stood for hours in Bourgas airport.
Any impact from the 18-30 clubbers yet?

8) Toonman
Hi, We are thinking of going to Sunny Beach in Oct this year, will be our first time!!! So, very interrested in your comments etc. What was the issue with "bags untampered with".... is this a problem???
We usually go to Turkey, so are used with cheap fake T-shirts and market 'tat' etc. I have gathered from various posts etc that it is better to go B&B and eat out, rather than HB as hotel food seems dodgy???

Any other info will be much appreciared. I've short listed the Meridian Hotel BUT I am still looking at prices etc

Thanks
Ray
Ray, Meridian has got some good reports, as has Iberostar Sunny Beach Resort( First Choice) and Hotel Oasis (Balkan).
You will find that Oct is the very end of the season and a lot of the places will be closing up for the winter. When in Oct ?

Never had an issue myself on tampered bags but there are a small few who have had things stolen. Problem with that is at which end were the items taken, departure or arrival?

8) Toonman
My mother-in-law had her first visit to SB last June and was saying to the hotelier that she would love to come back in October,

The hotelier advised her strongly against it, stating that most things are closed and the weather is not good at all.

My in-laws went to Spain instead and re-booked SB for July this year.
Hi Toonman - going out we took off about 8.45pm on the Sunday (we should have left at 6.30pm). I think the flight took about 2.5 hours so we probably landed about 1.15 in the morning. Coming home we arrived at the airport at 2.30pm on the Sunday for a 4.30pm flight. One other flight was arriving and leaving with us and that was from Glasgow. I think we arrived before Glasgow and they left about 15 mins before us on the way back. I think A Scandinavian flight got in at the same time as us too and were waiting at the other luggage belt.

Ray P - I think toonman has answered your question about the tampered bags. As for food, I would only bother going B&B or room only. Eating out is cheap and I think I would get bored eating in the same place over and over for two weeks. Also, there are places where you can go like the Village Yard and the Gypsy camp where you can see a show with your meal, though it did seem to be OK to go there and just have a drink.
I wouldn't go in October - again. Can be cold and downright miserable, apart from depressing because certain bars, restaurants and stalls have closed or are closing down.
It should be understood that the tourist season in Bulgaria is from the middle of June (the official start by which time building work should have ceased) to the end of September.
At either end a lot of places are closed and if it's been a good season many businesses have made their money and had enough late September.

Peter
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies - very informative.

We have a week away in May, summer hols 2 wks in July and our 'late hols' are always the FIRST week in Oct. But this year it could be departing on Friday 29 Sept, as only flight from Newcastle to Bourgas is Friday, and the 6th Oct is to late.
I fully understand about October hols and some resorts running down, this is the case in Turkey but only during the last week.
However, I am surprised that if the 'season' only lasts until end of Sept in Bulgaria, why are all the Tour Ops offering hols right to the end of Oct??? We would never go away later than the first week Oct anyway and expect certain places to be much quieter than in high season ( not a bad thing, you can get sunbeds and seats etc etc), BUT if the place was to be DEAD we'd be very disappointed.
Can anyone expand on this.... will it (Sunny B) be a ghost town 1st week Oct??? If so, we'll forget it here and now, but I doubt we'd go for our main hols in the high season next year as it's too much of a risk for us (for main summer hols) as we've never been before, so wanted to try it out for ONE week, and we can't get time off before Oct (well 29/09 at earliest).
We wouldn't mind it being quiet, BUT need restaurants, cafes, shops and bars to be OPEN.

Any advice about this will be most welcome, as we are still very much at the "looking" stage at this time, but as we may be going with friends and I do all the looking and booking.... I don't want to take a risk if I can help it, AND theres loads of other places to try.

Thanks
Ray
Hi Ray,

On THIS page you'll find Balkan's let out clause re the non availability of facilities early and late in the season. The tour operators send out tourists in October just as they send them out in May. But, the season does not officially start until the middle of June when they have a major celebration with dignitaries present and firework displays.
Can't predict what you would find, but if it's less than very good weather the places you want to be open will probably be closed. That's the way it is.

Peter
Peter,

Thanks for your advive, you clearly know this area well, and as I've said it would be new for us. So, think we will have to give it a miss, too risky for an Oct hol I fear. Shame as I do fancy trying Bulgaria, but from what you say an early hol in MAY (07) is also a bad risk.
Never mind, "plenty more beaches in the sea"

Cheers
Ray
Hj There,

Sunny Beach in October is definitely too late. My wife & I were there last year at the end of September & most things were closing or had closed by our 2nd week.

Having tried Crete, Rhodes,Sunny Beach , Malta, & The Costas in October we think either one of the Greek isles or one of the Costas would be better.
We are trying Portugal this October & going to Rhodes next October.

Hope you have a great holiday wherever you decide.

Bill & Rachel Haighton
I have a friend working on the beach in SB (he is taking money for sunbeds and umbrellas) and he is leaving SB October 15th.

I guess he spends the last days packing things together so October would not be the best choice.

We spent three weeks in SB in June, but we are going back for one week from Sept. 16th. I am very curious about the weather then, but actually I dont care. Just beeing there with friends will be a good time :lol:
Hi Magic,

We go in September, and weather-wise it's a matter of luck. It can be too darn hot, the Bulgarians call it a gypsy summer then. But alas, weather being what it is it could rain. Like you, we have good friends there so are not much bothered.

Peter
Got back from Sunny Beach last saturday,had a brill time stayed in the Trakia Gardens,cant complain about this hotel as it was clean and friendly as its a family run hotel.The day after we arrived we had avery heavy downpour of rain and everywhere was flooded as there drains are not very good..but it was funny walking through it.The rest of the 2 wks was fine.Went to Nesebarr which is a beautiful place and very cheap.the last few nights before we were coming home there was alot of mossie like a swarm had arrived didnt annoy me but my husband & kids got attack we used everything for them.Came home with D&G Jeans,Disel.Plus my oldest son got all g-unit stuff which were all cheap..Defo would go back next year :wink:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.