Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
travelscope have done it again!!! they have sacked the athena :cry:
Travelscope now only using the Van Gogh! Oh well perhaps we had better move to the Holiday Truth Van Gogh page for our info. This vessel had a food poisoning problem in the past the authorities impounded it until they were happy it was sorted, so I would think in this respect after the tens of thousands of pounds it cost the operators it should be one of the safest ships in this respect.
Richard

At no time in the past has the van gogh been involved in a food poisoning outbreak of any kind and for you to make that statement is unfair when you obviously have know idea of the facts of the incident to which you make reference.

1 the van gogh was involved in a outbreak of a common stomach virus called the norovirus commonly known as the winter vomiting bug. Not very pleasent but common everywhere in particular enclosed spaces such as colleges, schools, hotels, hospitals and unfortunately cruise ship.

2 the ship was only impounded because the captain or master of the ship failed to notify the appropriate authority of the outbreak before the ship docked back in the UK so this led to speculation that they had something to hide.

3 At no time did the authoities find anything wrong with the food or level of hygiene when preparing the food.

4 The authorities where pleased with the way food was handled at every step of the process right up to how it was seved to the customer

The problem with this type of virus is that people usually the general public dont know basic hygiene practice such as washing there hands after the toilet and this is where the problem starts you cant blame a ship or crew for that

Donna
I stand corrected Donna, my unreserved apologies to all :oops: Yes you are right "I have know idea of the facts of the incident" only what I had been told by port employees, it is good to have these corrected facts this reassures me especially as my wife and I have been reallocated a cabin aboard her for our forthcoming cruse.

Richard :wink:
Richard if you want to know anything about the van gogh let me know I will try and help I have become some what a regular on this ship cant get enough of her would go again anytime. Although maybe we should move the topic into the van gogh discussion forum although from what I have heard from my sources there wont be many people travelling on the Athena for a while to be bothered to much with the information in this forum which is a shame as she looks like a really nice ship.

Donna
Hi Donna, yes there is one thing that concerns me a little, this is the first cruse my wife and I have ever been on and I do not like having to wear suits very much, don't really want to even pack it (yes I only have one, have to have it for funerals) will I feel uncomfortable on the VG at the formal dinners with just a sports jacket and trousers or is there perhaps a second restaurant where I can eat whiteout feeling I am being looked at by a load of pompous diner suit and cocktail dress wearing peacocks? Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I have offended you in this. :oops:

. . I will post this on both forums as I not sure how best to make the transition. .

Richard
Richard I dont offend easily. To be honest most of the men just wore dark suits more than half of them infact just wore suits with ties some wore bow ties. Some just wore a shirt and tie although this was only a couple of them I would recommened you wear a jacket sports jacket would be fine just because most do but you dont have to do this. To be honest the formal dinner is the only time they are really really stricked on a dress code and to be honest if memory serves correct the only thing they insisted was that on formal evenings Gentleman must wear a tie and if you didnt have one they basically gave you one at the door. There is a suggested dress code in the daily telescope (paper delivered to your cabin) however the formal evenings seemed to be the only evenings that anyone paid any attention to it.

Also tell your wife who needs a cocktail dress just a nice dress or even a nice two piece outfit does just as good as long as you think you look nice and feel comfy who gives a F*** what anyone else thinks. After all you have paid your money just like everyone else so why should you be made to feel uncomfortable about what you wear.

The other thing they were really stricked with is that everyone must wear long troussers at dinner and no vest tops but thats generally the norm for most places. Also they prefer you not to wear jeans at night but they usually let you in or so it looked from where I was sitting a bit annoying when they quite clearly state they wont let you in the restaurant in Jeans and then someone sitting three seats away is wearing theirs without evening the batting of an eyelid about it. Especially when they wouldnt let a disabled child in my party in two days earlier on casual evening with three quarter troussers on. But never mind me and the Matre d are old friends.

Also would you like me to start a new van gogh topic for you. As I couldnt possibly use the current one because everytime I read about her list I want to start laughing where do people get this stuff from???

Donna

PS I have replied on this page basically because I have notification of new posts on this page and had started typing it here before reading that you had posted on the other page as well.
To save confusion, please post any discussion on the Van Gogh HERE

Thanks

luci :wave
Thank goodness for P&O after let down of travelscope. Got Norway cruise with them. I see some one has lost thier honeymoon trip :)
Glad you got sorted Travelscope seem to be cancelling and rearranging everyones trips at the moment
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.