Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
We're considering Prague over the New Year. What am I letting myself in for weather wise :duh Any suggestions on where I'll get the best deals on hotels. I've found a few on Travel Republic and Alpha rooms. Any others you can recommend please?
We are looking at going to Prague 18-21 Sept - the flight we have found is due to land at 22.15 on the Fri nite, we have been told to book our hotel wen we arrive at the airport, but I am a little dubious of doing this due to the time we arrive. Has anyone any experience of doing this and if so what time the hotel booking agents is open till in the evening. I dont want to be stranded in the airport overnite lol.

Also if we do go ahead and book a hotel, has anyone any good suggestions of hotels, I beleive we need one in Prague 1 area and that using the metro system is much cheaper than taxis, but again what time does the metro system run till.

Many thanks Carol x

ps it will be my partners 40th bday wen there so would like a nice restaurant for the Sat nite if any suggestions x
Hi,
We've booked 3 nights in Prague over the new year. We'll be staying in the Old town and I just wondered roughly how far from the airport it was. Any recommendations on transport to our hotel from airport please? Thanks
Just been looking at hotel reviews for Prague and I have to say there aren't many on HT and there isn't one write-up in the Resort report section. So come on all you people who've been here let's hear what you thought of it. Hopefully we'll see some reviews soon from everyone who's recently posted here to say they've booked to go.

I will certainly be putting my views on here in the new year when I return.
If I remember correctly the airport is around 20 mins from the centre. Can't help with the transport, except I remember there were loads of taxis. Ours came as part of the hotel package.
Just been looking at hotel reviews for Prague and I have to say there aren't many on HT and there isn't one write-up in the Resort report section.

Hi Shirley ... perhaps not as many reviews as we would like, considering its popularity, but we do have hotel and city reports for Prague.

The hotel reviews are in the Eastern Europe section, as you might expect:
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/

But unfortunately the city reports are currently in Other Destinations, as you probably wouldn't expect:
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/czech-republic/prague/

David :wave
EDIT: Glynis has now transferred the Prague City reports to the Eastern Europe section
We stayed at the Julian Hotel Shirley . It was highly voted on TA at the time and a really lovely hotel at a good price . About 10 mins from town but a lovely walk with some really good cheap bars and restaurants around and tram stop right outside if you were feeling tired + the petrin hill for a lovely walk.

We booked direct and they sent a driver to collect us . This was pre-credit crunch days and cant remember what we paid and how that fared with a taxi .http://www.julian.cz/en/
Thanks for your replies.
I saw the hotel reviews David but I was looking under Eastern Europe for the resort reports which is where I thought they should be. Thanks for the link, I'll take a look after lunch.

Lyn, we've already booked the Ibis Old town after reading very good reports on Travel Republic and Trip Advisor. I was just curious as to what HTers thought.

I've found a site offering taxi's from the sirport to any hotel in Prague rof £24 - so that's one option.
  • Edited by David 2009-09-06 21:10:40
    Shirley ... Glynis has now transferred the Prague City reports to the Eastern Europe section, you can still access them via the link above.
Lyn that's the hotel we stayed in! Hubby & I have been racking our brains trying to remember its name, we knew it began with a J and that was all. As soon as I saw the outside I knew that was the one. Hubby says we paid £16 for the taxi, so that's a good price Shirley as it was quite a few years ago when we went. We had a great deal there as well Lyn.
Think it was probably 3 years ago since we went Helen and just checked the reviews which i'm pleased to see are still good .

Making me think I would love to go back as I'm sure there would still be plenty to see that we didnt last time even if that means jumping on a few trams outside of the main city .
Thanks for the pointer David.

Will there be New Year's celebrations in Prague or do they not make a fuss of it. I mean will they count down the New Year in the streets etc? It would be nice if there were gatherings under the 'clock'.

We're planning to have a nice meal somewhere and a few drinks at a lively (but not too in your face) bar. Can anybody suggest a good bar in the old town, to 'see in the New Year'?

Another query - Will there be anything open on New Year's day, in the way of shops, bars and restaurants?
Thanks!
Have a look at this link Shirley - looks like you might be having a good old shindig
http://www.pragueexperience.com/events/new_years_eve.asp
:really OOH, I'm so excited. Thanks for that brilliant link Helen. I think we've decided to look around once we get there and book tickets for something rather than take a chance and stumble from bar to bar. I fancy one of the river boats but I don't think a fur coat will fit in my luggage :rofl
If I'm doing my maths correctly those river cruises advertised on Helen's link work out at just over £100 per person (without drinks)-Think we'll be giving them a miss.
Transfer to hotel, use the Cedaz minibus service. About 480Kc to the door [approx £17 as a result of the poor exchange rate currently].

Taxis/ hotel cars will cost in the region of 600-650Kc

For the return leg, go to Celnici, opposite the Marriott hotel, and the Cedaz service runs a shuttle service for 90Kc per person back to the airport.

In terms of the Ibis, well it will be your usual Ibis chain hotel, a 2/3 * hotel, clean and comfortable. It's only a couple of years old so there should be no problems. Good location, Celnici street [referred to above] is the street to the south.
Northern - Thanks for the helpful info. I will look into it. Do I just look for these minicabs at the airport or do they have a website where I can pre-book?
Thanks again
Myself and my girlfriend are planning a trip to Prague in mid November for a long weekend and would be grateful for any suggestions as to good hotels and places to go etc. We would prefer to stay somewhere central in a comfortable hotel and were looking to fly from Birmingham.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks
Mark
HI Mark,
we had a good deal on Travel Republic. We're staying at the Ibis Old Town, which apparently is only a couple of mins from the centre and 5 mins walk to Wenceslas Square. We've paid just £141 for 3 nights B&B over new year and that's for both of us :really

I've read that it's a basic clean hotel in a very good location but if you're after something a bit more Czeck or traditional, this won't be the one for you as it is part of the large Ibis chain.
Good Luck! Let us know what you decide on please.
Mark - Maximillian hotel. You'll love it, try booking for a good deal through either alpharooms.com or hotelconnect.co.uk
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.