Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Praia de Luz
19 Posts
Hi i have been disappointed at the lack of response to your enquiery as I am going to praia da luz in oct and I was piggy packing on your post. I think your holiday village is Sao Pedro. Not Sao Pedor. If You do a Google search on Monte Sao Pedro Holiday Village you will come up with a few hits. It looks good.
This is probably not much help but we went to Monte Sao Pedro about 13 years ago!!!!!!!!!! It was a really nice complex and we loved it. I would imagine it will have changed??
I have a friend whose parents have an apartment there and she really loves it.
I remember the beach being beautiful and there were plenty of restaurants......if anything there will probably be more now. There was a big supermarket there too.
In my experience, there are always ATM's at supermarkets or banks and plenty are available. Visa is widely accepted too.
Enjoy your hols.
Pat
:glynis
Hi Brodev

Yes I was giving up hope!! It is Sao Pedro, I made a typo! :oops: I have googled and got some info but was just hoping for some extra help. When I get back I'll be happy to give you some info.

Thanks Pat42, any help is good even 13 yrs old!!!!

Anyone else out there who can help me?
There is a large supermarket in the centre of Luz called Baptiste,you will be able to pick up everything you need there including a good selection of British brands as well.It is well sign posted so you cant miss it.

Most of the restaurants in Luz are pretty good,the only one I wouldn't recommend is 'O Poco' which overlooks the beach.The food is very ordinary and the service is surly and slow.

The best meal to be had is at the Hotel Belavista.It is worth visiting at least once during your stay,non residents are welcome but you will need to book.
They do an all in bbq including wine and beer for about 20 euros a head on wednesdays and english roast on sundays and an extensive menu during the rest of the week.

I have been visiting Luz a couple of times a year for the last 15 years,more so since the cheap airlines started to go to Faro.I cannot recommend it highly enough.You will have a great time.

If there is any other info you need please ask
Thanks Jakamo

Very helpful info. Only 2 weeks to go now so I'm sure I'll be pestering you for more info soon!!
I have been told that there is an ATM near the church in Luz.
Thanks Brodev, I'll look out for it!
Never eaten at O Poco so can't comment on it but everywhere else we have eaten in Luz has been at least very good.

Monte Sao Pedro is a short walk out of Luz and while I haven't been there, my dear wife spent a week there with her grandmother a few years ago and said it was excellent.

The only place I can remember not taking visa has now changed hands we haven't been back. By and large you shouldn't have any problems. From memory there are three ATMs. One in the Baptiste supermarket, one near Pirate Video opposite the Ocean Club's 24hr reception and the one just above the church.

Overall, Luz is a lovely place and we wouldn't hesitate going back there (again). Enjoy.
Thanks Chris, all good news so far.

Only a week to go now, I think I'm more excited than the kids! :pele
lilac labrador,
This link may be of interest to you :-

http://www.algarve-luzbay.com/webcam/cam_page.html
As I said previously, we were there years ago, our son was about 14 years old. He had a great time on the complex and didn't want to do anything with us!!!!!!!!!! He made lots of friends and we all knew that they were safe and could go around the site quite freely without having to worry about about him.
I'm sure you'll have a great time!!!
Pat
:glynis
Thanks Sagres, very helpful link!

Thanks too Pat. We're taking our two 16 yr olds (my daughter and my stepdaughter) so hopefully they'll find some entertainment. And also our 7 yr old son who loves the pool and beach.
Was here last year and it is lovely, you need to book most of the restaurants for the evening time, unless you want to eat after 9 or 10pm.

Baptist supermarket is the one but always so busy, you can hardly go up and down the aisles for the people, so if you do one big shop here and then stick to the smaller supermarket for the other bits!!
A restaurant think called restaurant portugese or something is lovely, it is situated up from the beach- where the restaurant is on the beach there is a lovely spot there for the full B-fast, the nightclub is also situated there, also up the street between those restaurants and the market area is a lovely take away, the above restaurant and the supermarket!! If any of that makes sence!!!

The bank machine is beside the CHurch and the taxi rank is also there, as is car hire place, one or two english & Irish pubs!

LAst year there was yoga on the beach everymorning at about 10.

Pria is beside a town called Lagos, which is a short taxi ride ( think about 8euro) and this great for a bigger choice of shops, restaurants, and entertainment. Def worth a day/evening/night trip.

Taxi's always seemed to be available too.

Enjoy!
Thanks lolololo

I'm really grateful to all of you who replied, Thanks again.

Juliet
I am going to these villas in September. Have read the reviews and they seem fine but they are all from a few years ago. Has anyone been more recently? Looking forward to it anyway as I have been reading all the reviews covering the area so even if the villas are not as good as I am hoping for it will not spoil my holiday as the area around them seem really nice. Can't wait.
LL is there at the moment. She said that she would report back on her return
Thanks for that have read posts again properly so will watch for when she gets back.
Hello, I'm back!

Well after a 20 hour delay at Gatwick (yes 20 hrs!!), and having stayed over night at a very nice airport hotel, we finally made it to Praia de Luz. The weather was hot and sunny, sometimes breezy, the whole time except for 2 hours on our last day when it was cloudy.

I have to be honest about the actual holiday accommodation though, we found the villas to be a bit "tired" and in need of a refurb. The bathroom in our villa (no. 3) needs a complete makeover as the bath is chipped, the basin and loo have cracks and the loo seat is too small for the loo. The kitchen is poorly equipped, luckily we didn't want to cook anything much. The barbeque is dirty and we ended up buying new equipment for it, which we left there for the next people. The sitting room is spacious and cool but the furniture was not particularly comfortable. The villa throughout was not clean at all when we arrived, dusty, cobwebby and just plain dirty. The maid comes in occasionally to leave towels and sweep the floors, but not much more. The garden is nice and the pool is lovely, but only 2 sunloungers for a 6 person villa!! All in all not really a 4 star more like 2 to be honest.

However we did have a lovely time, relaxing in the sun by our own pool. I don't want to spoil it for you but fore warned is fore armed!

Any questions let me know.

Juliet
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.