EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
pre move panic
27 Posts
Don't worry it's perfectly normal :roll: :D I did the same as you thirteen years ago, with two kids, nowhere to live (but I did bring my tent with me!!), no Spanish language, no schooling, no friends :cry: , and everyone thought I was completely nuts to be moving!!!!!!!

Perhaps I was, but I moved from UK for the same reason, to give the kids a better life, and I have never, ever regretted it! My kids may not appreciate it but they have had a better life than I could have provided them with in UK.

You'll be fine I'm sure, the last few weeks leading up to the great adventure are the absolute worse, but once you are there I'm sure it'll all fall into place!!!!!!!! And even if it doesn't, you will at least be able to say you had the guts to try it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck :D
Thanks for that,Its good to know that its normal to panic! Mind you,youre name doesnt inspire much confidence in what is normal, mad sue!!! :lol:
Only joking, I really appreciate your reply and am so happy that things worked out for your family. Thanks again sarah xxxxx
We are moving to Spain (Costa del Sol) in September.

And yes, every now and then, I have a panic attack, wondering if it is the right thing to do. We are doing it for ourselves as our daughter is grown up now.

We have both given it a lot of thought, and deep down know it is right.

You don't want to be sitting in 20 years time saying, I wish we had gone.

Good luck.

Alan
:rofl sarah!!!! Hence the rolling eyes after I had typed "normal"!!!! This is the name I am known by!!!!!!! Everyone in uk kept saying before I left "You must be mad, sue", and then when I arrived here people said the same!!!!! And the name just stuck!!!!

At least you have this forum which is a great help!!!!!!!!! I had so many questions in the weeks leading up to my move, which didn't help the panicking!!!
sarah - the only mistake you are making is moving to Malta instead of Gozo :D
Alan cheam- Thanks for the encouraging words-much needed in times of panic!! Hope all goes well for you and your family in September. xx

Gozomark- I dont think Gozo is ready for me,ha ha!! I will wait to get kicked off Malta first and then give you a call!! :lol:
The man from Redferns came today, at bang on 11 as arranged! He was a lovely fella and will be letting me know the shipping cost in a few days. He said he remembered you, as he was driving around London from 630am to find your house, as he didnt want to be late!!
He also said you were a very nice looking Professor with a very attractive Japanese wife! Hope he has the right person as he made you out to be very James Bond ish!!
yes thats us !(except for the "very nice looking Professor" bit)
8) 8) 8) cool! ha ha!! Hey, you should be well chuffed!!
more concerned about his eye-sight ! no wonder he was worried about finding the house - :D
Gosh Malta

My husband has just been offered a job in the prison service for New Zealand which he would love to take. Even though it was me who told him to apply (as he already works as a prison officer in UK) I am now panicking as I get claustrophobic and the 24 hour flight is really worrying me. We just came back from Majorca and two hours even with a tablet from the DR's still made me jittery. The whole idea has made me take stock of ehat we have got here in the UK and I have to say I love this Country but since the bombs last week I suspect there is only more of this to look forward to. Where next -a shopping mall, the motorways. You just don't know. It would be my children that I am doing this for, not me.

Anyway best of luck and sorry this is very garbles but thats how I feel inside at the moment.

Suzanne
Hi Ranbysue. New Zealand couldnt be much further could it? I am in bits already about only being 3 hours away so I cant imagine 24 hours!
Nick has put his foot down now and said we are not leaving ourselves enough time to plan things properly and we should post pone until after xmas, but we have leased a house from September and I have turned myself inside out trying to sort everything from shipping of furniture to vaccinations for the bloody cat! He has done absolutely nowt and has decided its too much hard work!! It is war in our house at the moment, so I may not even be going in September yet, I will keep you all informed!

You are definately right though,Ranbysue, England is not a good place to be with young kids at the moment, and yes, I think it will get worse too. What a shame. :cry:
Thanks Sarah for that

I hope that you do mange to meet your September date as putting it off may lead to you not going at all. Go for it - says me who still can't decide

Suzanne
Hi Ranbysue
I know exactly what you mean about not going at all if we put it off. Thats what bothers me.
Some of the biggest and BEST decisions I have ever made have been spur of the moment.
What does anyone else think? Moving away is never going to be easy is it? But surely youre better to just bloody go and worry when you get there!
Not very sensible I know, but whats wrong with that!!
I always believe that its better to try, and risk failure, than to never try, and then spend the rest of your life wondering "what if ...."
I always believe that its better to try, and risk failure, than to never try, and then spend the rest of your life wondering "what if ...."

Hear, Hear!

Alan
Hi

When I have asked this question to ex pats on the NZ website, they have said that once your decision is made then don't change it and stick to that decision otherwise you'll never get there.

Its difficult I know because I am still undecided even though we are in the middle of filling out the application for immigration to enter New Zealand.

So make your mind up and stick with your decision.

Go for it
I know Iknow,I hear what youre all saying, you alan, who is about to go, you, Mark who has gone and you Sue, who is still thinking about it, I agree with everything you are all saying and I feel like such a sap because I am feeling so mixed about this move. God,what a mess! Thanks everyone for your advice and support, I truly need it!
For now,everything is on hold until later on in the year because September is too soon to sort everything out, but I cant help thinking that we are going to keep putting it off and never get there!! It is so complicated isnt it! Maybe I win the lottery on Saturday and my worries all over! I will have a private jet to bring me back every Tuesday so I can still take my elderly mum and dad shopping!!
Sarah

look at it another way - if you move, and it doesn't work out, would you still be able to move back to the UK after a year ? If you can, how bad can the downside be, whereas the upside is unlimited !

ps have Redferns quoted yet ?
Oh, I do agree with you sarah! I remember saying to people for a good few months that I was moving here, and getting all the info together, clearing out clutter ready for the move etc etc, but not actually getting very far at all. Then a neighbour said, well, hadn't you better set a date then? That pulled me up short rather :oops: (expect she was sick and tired of hearing about the proposed move!). But that made me really think whether it was the right time/thing to do!!!!

Long story short, I set a date, really put the wheels in motion and went for it, but it was so so scary at the time :yikes

Perhaps that would help for you too. Set another date, see how it feels for you, if it feels completely wrong then you will have your answer!

And keep playing that lottery :wink:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.