France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Are they flying? As long as the medicines are not 'sharps' I wouldn't have thought there was a problem. You are certainly not searched or checked if you go over by boat or tunnel.
Thanks for the reply. It was more a concern over the fact that different countries licence different drugs
Just make sure they have sufficient to last for the whole holiday and they should be OK.

Usually you find most foreign countries are laxer than the UK and you can get stuff over the counter there that would be prescription only or even prohibited in the UK.
You must make sure that the medicines are in there original container with the chemist label on that includes drug name, quantity, dosage and that the name on the label is the name of the person that is taking them. Don't tip them into another container. Having them in the original prescribed packaging is your proof that they have been prescribed to you.
hockey6 wrote:
You must make sure that the medicines are in there original container with the chemist label on that includes drug name, quantity, dosage and that the name on the label is the name of the person that is taking them. Don't tip them into another container. Having them in the original prescribed packaging is your proof that they have been prescribed to you.

Cidermonster
this is the main thing also make sure they have their EHIC card and what would be helpful would be the repeat portion of the Prescription itself in case they need to see a doctor as it contains their own GP's Name address and phone number.

France is usually fine they have tightened up a little in the last 20 years but compared to some Gulf states where having Co-Codamol on prescription is still a jailable offence :yikes
French pharmacies all have a big book with the names of French drugs and their UK equivalents. Most drugs are available but the French do tend to use GENERIC drugs with the same ingredients and quantitis but a different name on the box, because otherwise the patient and the pharmacy won't be reimbursed.

There are far fewer over the counter medicines available in France so take cough meds, indigestion favourites and other pills and potions you depend on.

If you do need more prescribed meds, the pharmacist cannot handle the prescription and you'll need to see a doc: This will cost you 23 euros for the medical visit payable upfront which you can claim back via the EHIC scheme by sending the brown form to the local French social security office .. the CPAM ... or even better dropping it in yourself ... with the prescription form once you have got the meds from the pharmacy. It will take some time to be processed so be patient. If you really cannot cope with a generic medicine, ask the doc to write NS - nom specifique - by the side of the medicine so you get the named version. The pharmacist cannot change a generic for a named medicine if you forget to ask the doc.
Alsa has just made me remember a few things

The UK doctors are SUPPOSED to write prescriptions in GENERIC but not all do
AND
if you are going for more than 3 months your GP WILL remove you from his listing and you WILL have to re-apply to join his panel so you are encouraged to make sure you have sufficient supplies to last.

Yes gone are the days when you could get antibiotics from the pharmacy without seeing a doctor in France
A now retired colleague of mine had a very bad back. Nothing her doc gave her worked so once a year she would go over to France to buy some special pain killers from a pharmacy. I don't know what they were but once when my back was bad she gave me one! Blimey I was out of pain (and in orbit) most of the day!
I don't know about France, but Anthisan cream, the popular remedy for mozzie bites etc. is not available in many countries without a prescription, so make sure you take it with you if you think you may need it.
I haven't seen any Anthisan cream here in France all the time I've been here. In emergency put a bit of perfume or toothpaste on the bite to take the sting out ...

Anthisan is an antihistaminic cream. I think all antihistamines require a prescription over here ... Aslemma gives good advice - bring as much as you are likely to need .... and more. If you're travelling by plane, remember to put it in your hold baggage.
Aslemma wrote:
I don't know about France, but Anthisan cream, the popular remedy for mozzie bites etc. is not available in many countries without a prescription, so make sure you take it with you if you think you may need it.

The cream is a UK trade name so may be called something else but any bite or stings the cheapest remedy is actually white vinegar

Something that a lot of people use for cooking but is an age old treatment for lots of skin irritations
I got some nasty mossie bites in France 2 or 3 years ago and the pharmacy sold me hydrocortisone cream for them which did the trick. The anthisan I had taken from home just wasn't touching them even with the antihistamine tablets I always take on holiday.
I think my girl is taking the safe option and asking for a doctors letter as proof!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.