Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Price Increases
126 Posts
Yes, but you can't drink it in your local Morrisons!! Okay, 5ytl for a large Efes equates to about £2.17. Well I was out at our local village pub on Tuesday night, a pint of Carling was £2.55. Also if you look round you can get Efes a little cheaper than 5ytl (well you can in Gumbet anyway). In the same village pub, a steak meal costs about £11 (or 25ytl roughly). It doesn't cost that in Gumbet - and my local doesn't offer me free bread, a drink, fruit or whatever!! Maybe I just live in a very expensive village but I know that I will be holidaying in Turkey for years to come as it's still cheaper than having the equivalent holiday at home.

I'm not sure if we are being priced out of Turkey. Yes, the prices have gone up but we've enjoyed "cheap" holidays there for years. I still think Turkey is good value. My idea of a decent value holiday is that it costs me less than at home (and I get the weather) and Turkey surely fits the bill.
Don`t get me wrong i love turkey and everything about the place.
But i don`t drink in the pubs at home and don`t go out for meals at home on a regular basis, i`m in a relativley low paid job so prefer to save my money for my 2 weeks in turkey i`ve been to altinkum ,ortakent ,bitez, and this year olu deniz all i am trying to say is that if i decide to go all inclusive i will probably save approx £800 because i`m a bit of a tight a***e if have paid for something why go elsewhere and pay for the samething, i`ll eat and drink in resort the only thing out of resort i will do is visit some historical sights and maybe buy my wife some jewllery (if she treats me right) ;)
So the bars and resturaunts that we would normally go to will lose my business.

Andy
Yeah I can understand what you're saying but I think it's a global problem as everything seems to be going up everywhere (British Gas and 35% - what's that all about??).

And yes, it's a shame that AIs are "killing" some businesses in Turkey. We have a lot of friends who have businesses in Turkey (we've got a house in Gumbet and so have got to know them well) and they say the same thing.

I hope you can still get your holidays in Turkey and enjoy yourself.
Me Too Maybe i`ll start looking at diy and see how the prices work out with that.

Andy
Andy

While I personaly wouldn't go AI to Turkey there is clear evidence more and more people are of a similar mind to yourself. I'm just back from Marmaris and I thought the prices were reasonable. Certainly no where near as cheap as it was years ago. Seems to be everywhere though, couple of the mates were complaining about the prices in both Tenerife and Benidorm and it isn't just down to the poor exchange rate. Have to say though as long as you still go to Turkey it is very much your choice as to where you stay AI, half board, SC whatever.

Wilson ;)
Andy47742,I am surprised you havnt tried DIY before now,we booked our 1st time to Turkey about 6 years ago with a tour operator,was talking to some people at our apartments who said they had booked DIY,so I did that the next year,couldnt believe the money I saved,ie,no supp for 2 people sharing,etc,but going back to price increases,they have gone up a lot since then,but compared to eating out in other places in Europe,Turkey tops them all for quality and service,and believe it or not we payed less for trips this year!!,no where I know of in Europe can you get trips for the prices they are asking!!ridiculios money,ie,allday boat trip,all inclusive of drinks,breakfast and lunch,and transport for £8 each!!!!!!!.Prices for Effes was from 3 to 5 lira,turkish bath inc oil massage £6 each!!!!!!,jeep Safari inc bbq lunch £11 each,is there anywhere else that offers trips like these at them prices???.
Sugars Buffalo Bar in Icmeler 1.75 YTL large bottle = 75pence
Champion Bar Icmeler 2.00YTL large bottle = 85pence

Loads of places at 3-4 YTL.
I would change my resort.

Gene
Personally I think Icmeler is a more up market resort and used to be more expensive to eat out in etc,this year we visited many evenings and not the case anymore,yes I would still say more up market,but not more expensive,to the point that next year we are going to try Icmeler,very impressive.
I must say im rather concerned about the prices going up from when i first went two years ago.... if it continues i will have to change tactics, and holiday alone....leaving the kids at home! :rofl
Well, our budget has got tighter. I dont want to go anywhere else, I'm happy trying different places in Turkey so it means we will have to pull our belts in a bit. I know some people dont like to be restricted when they go on holiday, but I would rather do that than not go at all, I really would. So, we are self catering. We are going to take some things with us for lunchtimes and eat out in the evening. We arent big shoppers on holiday, so no jewellery or markets for us and I am taking some boxes of wine to have a drink in the apartment at the end of the evening.

Not everyone's cup of tea but things are getting so expensive everywhere we have to do what we can to adapt.
Hi All
Thanks for the differnce of opinion my wife and i discussed this at great length last night and have decided that maybe a villa shared with some freinds or to just shop around for that bargain basement deal. i realy don`t fancy AI but will keep my options open, The only reason we have not done DIY in the past is that my wife is a bit scared that you don`t get the assurences you get with an T\O.
I Cannot imagine not going to turkey for our annual hol We just love the country and the people.

Andy
Well I only paid 5 lira for a large efes in beachfront bars in Olu in July. The norm was more like 3-4 and when the bar across the road from our hotel reduced his price for a large Efes from 3.5 to 3 our hotel promptly reduced theirs from 4 lira to 3 lira - very good for a hotel. Cheapest found was 2.5 lira. I also found food could be very reasonable but spirits not such good value. We countered that by getting into cocktails when happy hours were on. :cheers
I have to agree with Sarong. We went to Crete last year A/I and wanted something a little bit more upmarket next time but the prices for where we wanted to go were in excess of £5k and Lykia World was £8k. There are 5 of us so we are going B&B and see if we can do it cheaper - I would rather do that than not go! Off to Olu Deniz in 09!!

Redcrop x
hi andy were off to olu on monday hope its not to dear to late to turn back now :cry
Hi Andyo
I have not yet been to olu before, another 2 weeks for me. my Little moan was all about increases in the last couple of years, as many people who have posted have said if you shop around you should be able to find better value, I`m sure i`m just being paranoid and like yourself will have a fantastic holiday i mean the turkish people have never failed to make every holiday so far just perfect.

So just chill and think about having an efes :tup and while your at it have one for me too ;)
Take care and have a great time.
I found some of the things had gone up last week and others were similar to 2 years ago. As Sandra says the Effes varied and you could get it for 3.5 or 4, and cocktails were still 9 or 10 lira.

The place I thought was more expensive was Fethiye Market. Tried to buy two pairs of tailored shorts for DH, two pairs of rip-off nike jogging shorts for DS and 1 three quarter jog bottom for DD. He started off at the equivalent of 50 pounds sterling and I haggled him down to 40 quid.

I could have got the tailored shorts for 12 in M&S (cheaper in Tesco etc) as I had bought something similar prior to going on hols.

I was gobsmaked, told him the stuff was cheaper in the UK and he just shrugged, I asked for an extra item for same price (this was what the TC rep said you had to do now as they wont move on price much), he said no we walked away and he didn't reduce or follow us. The last 3 items weren't even good quality.

TC rep says she gets her Mum to bring all her clothes over from the UK as its cheaper here !

This was experienced on various stalls, so we bought two leather belts and called it a day.
i agree with you chris, my mother lives in turkey and buys all her clothes in the uk, for a few reasons, quality and price in the uk is better but she says that also sizing in turkey is a problem and unless you are thin its difficult finding clothes over size 12, she came back last month and we went shopping for her and she was amazed at the prices for clothes in places like asda she said no way could turkey compete with jeans £3 etc lol, and had never bought in asda before but bought a few bits and was very pleased, she bought in m&s and next too and again said the prices were excellent, they also stocked up with sauces and toiletries to take back with them , things like chutney, mint sauce , and shampoo, hair spray,etc is very expensive in turkey. in general she said the prices are going up and watches the menu boards increase in price around end of april for the season by quite a bit :que
A turkish mate of mine I met on holiday gets caseloads of stuff brought over from Primark by his uncle and cousins who live in england and he then sells them in turkey back to the tourists. :que Not sure what mark up profit he makes but hes been doing it for good few years now so must be making a good few bob.

gb
andy57742, Just wait and see what it actually costs you this year before you make your mind up on AI, I would suggest that the people grumbling about price increases are actually paying these prices because they arent looking around for the hundreds of good deals that are still out their to be found by everyone, Eg, 5 course meals £6.99 with a free drink included, Effes beer 75p, Always ask the prices before you go into Bar restauraunts, Even in the more expensive resorts good prices are easily found.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.