Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Most supermarket prices are at least 20% cheaper than the UK whilst produce from the outdoor markets is infinitely better quality. The cheapest wine will be around £2 a bottle. Eating out can be very cheap - a lunchtime menu del dia (menu of the day) with three courses, wine, water, olives, bread etc is readily available in many spanish restaurants for less than 10 euros (about £7). Eating out in the evening is always more expensive and the Spanish don't usually eat until 9 or 10pm. Try to avoid the obvious tourist places (eg 'all day breakfast') which are invariably more expensive and often much poorer quality and presentation. A small beer should be about £1 and generous spirit measures around £2.
thanks for the reply,,,,,,,, nothing like the £6.50 for A bacardi and coke in turkey last year then!!!!!!! glass not bottle............. just that im reading that sun=bed and brolly hire is very expensive,, 20 euros a day????
thats puttin hubby off
Did i read that correctly. £6.50 for a bacardi and coke :shock:
you certainly did!!
12 lira for a small desert wine, only had about 3 all holiday!!
and 14 m lira for bacardi and coke
and 2 to 4 lira for beer and 3 for juice
ice creams went from 3 lira at the rear of the resort to 9 lira on the sea front for the same flippin ice cream!!!
Hilda

I think you must have been ripped off with the drinks in Turkey, can I ask what resort you were in please, because we were staying in Marmaris last year and I drink bacardi and coke and it was just over £1 for one.
Thanks
Westie
to go off topic,,, it was olu deniz. stayed in icmeler year before! a bit cheaper there but not much
anyway back to mallorca!! are the sunbeds so very expensive as ive read on reports??
Hi,
We were in Palmanova 2 weeks ago, drinks in bars are about 1.50-170 euros for a soft drink, 2-2.90 eurosfor a large beer. I would say supermarket prices are actually dearer than at home , maybe slightly cheaper if you can get to one of the hypermarkets in Palma. Sunbed hire at palmanova & Magaluf is 2.50 per bed & 2.50 for a parasol.

regards,

Nigel
i would say supermarkets are dearer but you are on holiday so you expect to pay more,
dont know why people worry so much about prices and food and drink ,
its going to be different to what you get at home so expect to pay a bit more,if you then find a bargain then enjoy it. if it too dear dont pay it,there are more than enough places to shop around.
Hi there!!
Tourist places have 2 prices---one for the locals and one for you!!
Goods have "barcodes" for the locals and "little yellow/white price stickers for us!!-----ever noticed??
Next time your at the till ask the assistant to "scan" your goods ---see what response you get!!
Cheers John
hiya
ive seen the barcode thingys cos hubby was buying ciggies and the chap had to look up the code!! hub asked what he was doing and didnt he know the price of them?? during the hol he got friendly with a bar man and he got him ciggies at the local price,
as for worrying about prices, there is a difference of a fair price and being blatantly ripped off, thats what go me goat in turkey!,, plus some of us are on a tighter budget than some others!
just imagine if us brits charged more to visitors to this country!!
so you are saying holiday places in england dont charge inflated prices well i must be going to the wrong places,
so you are saying holiday places in england dont charge inflated prices well i must be going to the wrong places

I think Hilda was referring to supermarkets in general rather than holiday places and yes we get ripped off in holiday places in the UK but the point is I don't think they hike the prices even higher if a foreigner was to visit there :D

I have to agree also that some people like to suss out the general cost of things before they holiday especially if they are on a tight budget, there are times when you have to watch the pennies even though you are on holiday :D
and that is exactly what im trying to do. suss out prices for stuff so its not so much of a shock when you get there, and at least you can see how your budget may stretch, or not :lol:
if im going to book a reasonable priced hol and you get there and find its really costly then it can put a damper on things,,,
We were in Majorca last September and we found the prices really good. We were getting a Peppered steak and all the trimmings for 3 euros my husband never comlained about drink prices and believe me he has in the past. As for sunbeds and brollies some people were buying a umbrella and binning it at end of holiday. We would normally hire a sunbed but because the water was so lovely we got a couple of airbeds to frolic in the sea with and just used those on the beach. We are very old and it was the first time my husband and I have frolliced in the sea we were like a couple of kids it was great.
We were staying at Santa Ponsa and had no complaints with the price of anything.
Have a great time
Cheers

Anne
god thats put me right off,,,,,,,, the bit about frolicing in the sea with me hubby i mean :lol:
im going to take another look then and see what i end up with
a holiday i mean not a new hubby,,,then again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Sorry you feel that way
Hilda!!
With "curlers" like that I,d forget about the "frolicking"---l.o.l----unless "Stan" packs his hankie for his head and his obligartory "braces"
Have a good one!!
John
Can we please stay on topic folks

Biff
hi i was in cald or in may and brought lots of menus back with me, with prices on, pm me if you would like average prices of drinks and meals x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.