Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
price rises
32 Posts
Now you've really cheered me up. :roll: The cost of flights and hotels have certainly gone up this year, and other things have been creeping up gradually, but I was hoping that there hadn't been any great leap since my last visit. I'll be back there at the end of September and if you're right it looks as though I'll be bashing the plastic more than usual.
Hi,last sunday afternoon in one of the restaurants round by the fountains just outside the harbour we had'
chicken pannini
tuna&cheese pannini
chicken&chips
plate of chips
1/2 litre beer (none alcoholic ugh)
large coke
orange juice
31 dinar
we were getting 2.28 to £1 in the hotel.
pizza was from 5 dinar for margarita
there was a micro brewery attatched to our hotel 9 dinar 1 litre,5 dinar 1/2 litre
We stayed between Sousse and PEk in July, Prices were cheap as they had always been.

Something we did notice was that a lot of places had started to serve a 1litre bottle of Coke/Coke lite which worked out a lot cheap than 2 cans.

Maybe things have gone up slightly but i can't see it costing anything like going out in the uk for a meal. :yikes

The price increase was hardly noticable from last year to this year can't see how someone thinks its tripled if anything most of the stuff was the same price, only thing we noticed had increased in price was the local shop to the hotels clothes were more expensive but considering they had built 3 new floors to the shop i could see why the increase ;)
seahunt

there was a micro brewery attatched to our hotel

:tup which hotel is this :cheers
hi kitman-graham we were in the golf residence PEK from july 30-august 3rd and where were you? :glynis
Hi seahunt

We are going next week to the Occidental Allegro Abou Sofian hotel.

Was the micro-brewery beer nice ?

:cheers Graham
hi seahunt .the golf residence is the hotel i've been looking at to book for next year, did you like it ,and have you done a review?the reviewer who said the prices have tripled stayed there too.
sue
hi bushbaby/kitman-graham
I'll do a review later but the hotel was much better than i expected.directly opposite the aqua park.there are a couple of negative reviews but they were taken during the low season when i suppose the repairs to the hotel have to be done.It was clean and the food was really good.
As for the beer it was a sort of wheat beer,not clear but not at all cloudy.The first one i had i asked for a large beer,the waiter said a pint.I said yes and what i got was a litre.i stayed with the 1/2 litre after that.
The price was 1 litre 9 dinar,1/2 litre 5 dinar,small beer 3 dinar.They also sold bottles of celtia for 3 dinar.
hi seahunt
can you tell me if celtia is no or low alcohol? we like the 5% lager but i dont suppose you'll get that in tunisia(except imported).i still fancy the golf.i know there has been some poor reviews but i have seen loads of really good ones on travel republic and you can get a really good deal with them.we nearly went last september but it was in ramadam and my husband didn't want to go then. now know that it doesn't make a lot of difference.
sue
hi i think the bottles of celtia was about 4% but the draught was a bit stonger. we got caught out a couple of times in restuarants when i ordered beer it was non alcholic.you have to check the menus.the hotels are ok for beer.
Is 'celtia' pronounced 'seltia' or 'keltia'?
Thanks - at least now we know what to order to get alcoholic beer! :cheers
If my memory serves me right, even the non-alcoholic beer is also called Celtia, but the restaurants will usually tell you if the beer is alcoholic or not. Even the non-alcoholic variety makes a refreshing drink on a hot day though. The fresh orange juice is lovely and the fresh lemon even better if you can get it. One of the cafés facing the Marina at PEK does a good pot of English tea as well, though unfortunately I can't remember which one it is. :roll:
Oh well, that good idea won't work then! Thanks for the info.
heres a few more prices i remember
trips to sousse by noddy train 2dinars adult 1.5dinar child
tuk tuk to sousse 2 dinar each
taxi to sousse 5-6 dinars.
chicken kebab in sousse 2 dinar
entrance to aqua park pek 15dinar adult 10 child 12years &under
food in water park was very reasonable.not allowed to take your own.
1.5lt water 0.5dinar
fresh orange 2 dinar
:tup we took a taxi to monastir and the driver waited for us for 3 hours,he told us to pay him when we came back.it was 60 dinar, but if you added the round trip on the meter it was over 75dinar.he was very trusting and offered to take us to the best shops and sights
by the way aslemma
a bottle of cedratine that you recommend was 8euro in monastir airport duty free.
Just realised you're off to Hammamet mehmeh, not Sousse or PEK, so my recommendation of a pot of tea by the marina is not much use. Try "The View" in Hammamet Yasmine as it has a good reputation.

Have a look at this for other ideas: http://www.nomarmiteintunisia.co.uk/eatingout.htm

Incidentally, though I've recommended orange and lemon juice, as well as a pot of tea, the red wine, especialy Vieux Magon, and a lovely lemon liqueur called Cedratine are well worth trying. Their other liqueur, Boukha, is made from figs and is certainly an acquired taste (which I haven't acquired).

Thanks for the tip about Cedratine at Monastir seahunt, but I'm flying to Tunis next month so will have to get some there, or stock up in the supermarket at PEK. :rofl
Thanks Aslemma. I intend to try the cedratine. My husband likes figs, so he may like the Boukha.

I adore dates, so am hoping to eat a lot while we are there! In Cyprus, there was always a big bowlful at breakfast, which I loved. Is this likely in Tunisia?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.