General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
2009 Price Rises
12 Posts
I agree, prices are going silly. We booked 2 weeks AI in Egypt for August, 2 adults and 2 children and I thought the £4000 price tag was ridiculous really but accepted that's what we would need to pay. The price now is £1800 more, so we actually got a great deal, but how do they justify such a huge increase?

Pam :cheers
Supply and Demand. More people want AI, they charge more and make more money. If travellers are looking for good quality AIs and a reasonable price now they have really missed the boat. The tour ops keep an eye on sites like this and tripadvisor and will hike the prices on popular acomms too.
the all inclusive we had last year and paid £1280 for 2 adults and 1 child for 2 weeks in may half term is for this year £2800 ,over double last time i checked, huge increase on last years prices :que
Hate to say I told you so.

Reading in the trade press Thomas Cook have already sold 50% of their holidays for the Summer 09 season, even before it has started. All Inclusive sales are up 13%, despite sales being down ~5% (in line with capacity). I was told by a Customer yesterday that 2 wks AI in Sharm was too expensive @ 679pp for next March, where I thought that was reasonable.
If you read my original post I think you will see it was me who was actualy telling it so, hence the thread??
I think people can be a bit unrealistic AgentQ, because it was say 479pp in 2007 they expect things to go up about 50pp or maybe even 100pp, but a lot has changed in those two years in both economic terms and in the travel industry with all its mergers and consolidations.

On the face of it though for 4 people to find another 800 GBP's is huge :( as none of us are getting any salary rises and that is those who are lucky enough to retain their jobs.
We were extremely lucky this year with our holiday price. Didnt think we were going to be able to afford AI this year as my daughter is 14 and would have to pay an adult fare, which i totally grudge for AI as shes not old enough to drink and someplaces wont let over twelves take part in the adult activities. The most we have paid untill now is under £1800 for 2 adults and 1 child (normally free childplace). After extensive searching of numerous web sites couldnt find anything for less than £2800. Then by chance Thomas Cook web site were offering 2 holidays to the same place, same hotel, same flights, same day, 1st was £1400 and the second on the page was £2600 (thought it was a bit strange). Double checked with Travel Agent direct. We have been sooooooo!!! lucky 2 weeks AI 29th May - 12th June £1400. Couldnt possibly afford £2600 or above.
miss_match72

Try having 2 kids over 12, four adult fares, 2 rooms, I have to look at £3000+ for a holiday and then spending on top. I could go cheaper but I like a good hotel, I am not like people who say its only a place to sleep, it becomes my home for 2 weeks and we always spend a certain amount of time in the room.
can't think of a username

I totally sympathize with you and other families. I think children should be child prices until they are 16. Charging adult prices is not fair. The cost of taking teenagers abroad is ridiculous. They fall into that awkward age. Parents and Teenagers need privacy cant all share the one room so pay through the nose to accomodate. Also when going AI teenagers dont get the benefit.

I too like a good comfortable accomodation when on holiday cant think of anything worse than staying in a not very nice hotel.

We have just returned from our holiday and must say were extremely lucky with our hotel and the price that we paid.
miss_match72

I have 2010 prices for the hotel I am going to this year, should of got the price for the same date, but I am going on the 4 aug, this year £1675 for 2 adults, next year 7 sep so not peak school dates £2122, last year for the same dates this year the price would been booking early around £1300 so its a huge rise this year.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.