Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Public transport in Barbados is pretty good and very cheap so I would use that option if available rather than a taxi.

Where are you staying in Barbados? If you're staying on the south coast you are able to walk to a lot of good restaurants and bars.

For supermarket food prices check this site: http://www.supercentre.com/shop.html

As for eating out... as you said it can be as expensive (The Cliff) to relatively cheap (Cheffette). I would say that you ought to compare it to London prices and you will not be very far off.

Mark :)
We're staying a couple of minutes from St Lawrence Gap. It's kind of as i expected then, i always try and get public transport on holidays as these kind of places are usually dirt cheap to get a bus. The only times i don't is if have to be somewhere at 7 in the morning for an excursion or something like that in fear of something going wrong. I guess in Barbados it'll just be a case of shopping around for food/ restaurants.

Any experience of St Lucia?

Thanks
Where are you staying in St Lucia? I think the answer's going to be similar to Barbados in that if you're in or near Rodney Bay in the north of the island there will be a good choice of places to eat and drink. Local buses are quite cheap.
When you book excursions in Barbados, most of the time they will pick you up and drop you off as part of the price.

For example, if you were to to do a catamaran cruise via Cool Runnings (http://www.coolrunningsbarbados.com/) they will pick you up and drop you off from your accommodation. This particular excursion also includes a good lunch onboard and as much drink as you want.

Taxi's in Barbados are not metered and are supposed to be fixed. You will need to establish the price with the driver beforehand and watch out what currency you are being quoted in.

What excursions are you looking at?

Mark :)
One thing about restaurants- August is not high season. Many will not be open- Barbados I mean. Not sure about St Lucia but as the weather won't be as good as it will be in Barbados you may find less of a choice. We have been to Barbados in August and would definitely return.Even though Barbados is your best bet for weather, expect some rain. Just find a cheap bar and enjoy the liquid- drink and sunshine :cheers We stayed at Bougainvillea just outside of the Gap. There was a cheap place just at the beginning - think it was Yellow Bird. Budget accomodation with a great little restaurant. Get a taste for Mount Gay rum- that makes your drink a lot cheaper :)
roseweb - We're staying in Rodney Bay in St Lucia so yeah as you say hopefully we can just walk around that area/ get buses if necessary.

Markj - in Barbados? We are looking at the Cool Runnings tour you said about and also perhaps the Jeep Safari. i was hoping to do a helicopter tour for the photos opportunities but they are so expensive for the half an hour or so you are in the air. I guess with taxi's its just a case of standing your ground with the 'correct' price, as it is seems to be in most places on holiday.

Ok Fiona, i imagined it might be this sort of a case but i as you say there's nothing wrong to go to these places in the off-season, just saves you a little money! I'm sure we will find what we need and can get used to any drinks if i've had enough of them :D

Thanks
If you drive its pretty easy to navigate round Barbados. Lovely island. :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.