Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Pumukkale
16 Posts
it would be a two day trip at least from there not sure if they do excursions from there to cotton castle :sun2 just found this for you
http://www.istanbulcentralhotels.com/tours-from-Antalya-to-pamukkale-and-ephesus.html
They will definitely do trips to Pamukkale from Antalya. It would be a long trip but you could do it in a day. If you go on an organised trip they would pick you up by coach early in the morning and bring you back in the evening.

Kedi
Thankyou both for your advice.
You can do it in a day (I went from Side) but would recommend a two day trip as there is so much to see.
There are the pools themselves, Cleopatra's baths and the ancient city of Hieropolis.

If you do book a trip find a local agency rather than your tour operator as they will inevitably be cheaper and often use the same hotels or restaurants for meals. Just be careful on any trips booked you understand exactly what is and what's not included in the price. For example it was made clear to me that the entrance fee was not included in the excursion but a Swedish couple were told it was and weren't happy to say the least!
Monte thanks very good advice
Is it worth visiting? The pictures look impressive but my husband's not keen on water and apart from dunking in the pools is there anything else to do?
We're for Dalyan again this year: bliss! :sun2
It's do-able from there in a day, I presume?
The pools you see in the photographs are still recovering their former glory after a number of developments took away the supply of water and caused severe damage to this area of natural beauty. You are now only allowed to paddle in a couple of the pools and access is strictly controlled.

There are the Cleopatra baths which is a swimming area with changing rooms and cafe, a museum and the ancient, but well preserved, city of Hieropolis which includes a theatre.

I went in early June and it was quite hot but a nice breeze, not overcrowded and I found it a thoroughly enjoyable but very long day out. As to whether you or your husband would like it I obviously can't really advise not knowing you but if you like beautiful scenery and ancient ruins you can't go far wrong. However I don't think I would want to go in July / August in the full heat of summer.

The advertising blurb will tell you the waters contain magic powers to cure all ills. It did sort out my blister and sore feet (from walking too much around Side) so there may be something in it!
I have been as part of a two day trip to Ephesus and Pammukale. I really REALLY enjoyed swimming in Cleopatra's pool - it is like swimming in warm lemonade, your body gets covered in bubbles. You swim among the ruins and it really is a lovely experience.

I found the actual white mountain a bit of a disappointment as you can't go in the pools themselves and it feels quite dangerous when you walk on it - it's fairly slippery.

Ephesus was good too - if you like history it is a very good example of a Roman town.

I don't know how far it is from Antalya, but we went from Hisaronu and it was a LOOOOOOONG coach trip. I am glad I have been, but I wouldn't go again just because of the coach journey really.
I agree completely with haymans74, swimming in Cleopatra's pools and resting your feet on Roman columns is a surreal but pricey experience but the white mountains was a let down. Ephesus was stunning and I'd definitely go back there and spend more time. We also went from Hisaronu but we drove so could stop when we liked.

Persoanlly if you're just going to Pammukale and it's going to be a long journey I wouldn't bother.
They do trips from Antalya as 1 day trip or 2 days over staying in an hotel in Pamukkale. yes you must check whas the inculiding in ticket. I am organising Pamukkale and Ephesus trips( 1day or 2 days) in Marmaris. The important thing is local agents are doing tricks to sell tickets and they are saying all inclusive. NO way or NO chance for all inclusive. because The Cleopetra Pool is extra. You buy ur entry ticket by near pool. It was about 22 TL (£10 today rate). They say 5 star hotels Turkish night also i heard gladiators are doing shows at hierapolis areena. But all tricks to sell tickets. All 5 star hotels been knocked down!! They were getting these mineral waters and wasting it.
The price is including coach transfer, breakfast( tea coffee free but other drinks extra), lunch (drinks extra) Guide( check your guide if he is registered by from Tourism Culture Ministry), entry to Hierapolis accient city and pamukkale enry and insurance. cleopetra pool is extra. i recommend if you are on holiday 2 weeks do it. if you are on 1 week holiday the trip will make u tired.

Yes all visitors allowed get in pools at west gate of Pamukkale. the mountain side has been blocked by UNICEF and under protection. Years ago the tourists did get into pools with chemicals(sun cream, deodorants,jels etc.) These chemicals are turned this White Cotton Castle as black :( Please when we all visiting Pamukkale do not use chemicals before get into pools and save it for next generation. It is only one on the world.
Thankyou thankyou cheeky monkey- explains why it is restricted.
Thanks for the info.
We 'did' Ephesus 2 years ago & it was a definite 'must-see'. Couldn't recomment it highly enough.
But think we'll probably give Pumukkale a miss.
The opposite side of the coin, we drove to Pammakkale from Icmeler last year but stayed in the lower area and found it fascinating. After we returned we heard that we had only seen a very small part of it and so are going back this year to see the bit we missed!

Dave
We have decided that we will make the journey and go. on the plus side we are going for a fortnight so we will have plenty of time hopefully. Thankyou to the contributions.
Yes of course Pamukkale is accessible from Antalya..and there are a few ways you could get there..either;

Pamukkale Town is served by several major bus companies directly, with buses departing from the town itself. Many more buses to many other cities depart from Santral Garaji (bus terminal) in Denizli, 19 km (12 miles) to the south. By bus from Antalya to Denizli by bus is 3.5 hrs..you may have to take a small shuttle to pamukkale from Denizli.

the price of the ticket from Antalya to ( Denizli ) is 25 liras per person..
call 444 35 35 ( in Turkey )
PAMUKKALE Turizm

bus service starts at 08:00 am til 01:30 ..but can vary from day to day..you dont really need to book in advance..either 1 or 2 days before..or just show up at the bus station ( otogar ) of Antalya and you can find a bus to Denizli.

By rental car..self-drive will take about 2.5 - 3 hours..and you could also visit Termessos on your way..Termessos is 45 minutes outside of Antalya. Antalya-Pamukkale 235km.

Or by organized tour..There are plenty of travel agents in the city of antalya that offer 1 or 2 days trips to Ephesus / pamukkale along with other areas..you only have to walk around the old city area ( Kaleiçi ) and price shop and compare trips..I have seen many travel agents with signs on their windows or outside of their agencies advertising such trips..there are even day trips to Pamukkale leaving early morning and arriving back in the evening to Antalya..any travel agent can organize a trip to your wishes..

also dont forget to visit the ruins at Heropolis..and the travertines are best to visit at dusk..and to get the real benefit you need to stay overnight - that way you can see the sunset on the travertines and then the next morning go back up and see the ruins of Hieropolis before all the tour buses get there.

you can organize your own trip and have a look on the Trip advisor for hotel reviews and places to stay

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g297992-Pamukkale-Hotels.html

PS..you also say that you are 2 weeks in Antalya..what do you plan to see and do there ??

my photos of Antalya and the surrounding areas..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/sets
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.