Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi,

The beach is just like the pictures if not better. Me and my boyfriend stayed in the Riu Palace Macoa last May. We decided to pop down to have a look after breakfast on our first day. Big mistake, ended up staying down there for about 3 hours because it was so nice, wih no sun cream on!
My boyfriebd ended up with blisters on his back. I think its one of the best on the island.

Let me know if you need anymore info.

Liz
Thanks Liz!

I heard they were teh best beaches so i purposely chose this part. Always wanted to go somewhere where the sea is that blue and sand so white. Read a review somewhere else that this wasnt the case so i got worried!

Were going with my travel airlines booked via thomas cook. what about you?

Also, how were the mozzies, esp at night?
Hi,

We went with Thomson.

I only got bitten a few times, however i did cover myself with a boots deet gel thing. This seemed to work for me. When i went to Egypt in 2005 i got bitten alive and got an infection in my leg from one. Just make sure you cover yourself in something with deet in. The boots one is an extra strengh one in a silver bottle.

Let me know if you need anymore info.

You will have such a good time, the beach is the best i have ever seen.

Liz
Oh im so glad you said that!!

Lots of places have put "cover up at night with long trousers" etc. But youre on holiday at night its nice to wear something decent, especially if its going to be hot!!

I will stock up on the deet spray. got to start on the malaria tablets soon too. did you take those?
I wondered if you had seen the pictures of Sirenis I post a couple of years ago HERE

I have been back since and still love the place, unfortunately FC took it out of their winter brochure last year so we didn't go then.

I would say though that the sand isn't actually white and the sea colour depends very much on the weather, some days the tide churns it up a bit but its still a fabulous beach and the hotel is very good value also. The staff remembered us on our return and couldn't do enough to make our holiday great.
I would point out that with the Cocotel one side and the Tropical the other it is a huge resort with quite a bit of walking also there are no kettles in the rooms so to save your legs and if you like that early morning cuppa you might like to think about taking a travel kettle. :lol:

Another tip is to take a room freshener with you and some smelly little bags for the wardrobe, being a tropical climate it gets very humid and damp and loads of people complain about the musty smell but it really can't be helped, the room smelly soon sorted it out and it felt just like home. Ask for or take extra hangers as well, keeping your clothes separated helps the air circulate and stops mould.

Learn a little Spanish, smile at the staff and they will treat you well, the Dominicans are lovely people.

Have a great holiday.
Lynn
I probably have seen the pictures thanks, had a good look on here at everything i could possibly find.

Im glad you enjoyed it there, im really looking forwards to getting away from it all, only 4 weeks to go!

Will look into getting some wardrobe smellies, thanks very much! :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.