Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
TAH-M wrote:
There are a few UK charter airlines around

I was thinking more the major international airlines rather than the new breed of low cost carriers and charters. One is too many though no matter which airline it is. PS there's no 'u' in Qantas!

I'm still reading reports and hearing in the media of this so-called plunge. I really wish the media would tell the truth. It doesn't do anyone any good sexing these stories up. The BBC reported things better than most.

keela1eva2 wrote:
The people on this flight were very fortunate.

Yes and no. It was well handled by crew to minimise problems. As long as the airframe isn't damaged, as in this case, it's amazing what can still fly. I don't think there was any danger to the airframe, all systems were still in tact, just a breach of the pressure hull and hence the decompression. The Aloha incident where the top section of a 737-200 came away was nothing more than miraculous.

Darren
Hi Darren,
Have Virgin as Virgin Atlantic ever had a fatal,I know that Singapore Airlines have (50% owners of Virgin)passed what was left of that 747 on landing at Taipei.
qatarman,

The Virgin group own 51% of Virgin Atlantic, Sinpagore 49% so strictly speaking they have as a partnership. However, as an airline under the Virgin brand, then no they haven't. They've had two major incidents with technical problems. They've only been around since 1984 though compared to the likes of Qantas that have been around since 16th October 1920!. It's an impressive record and long may is stand for all the airlines.

Darren
Interesting development as to the cause of this incident: Emergency oxygen supplies in the form of cylinders are located in the location of the hull breach. It is thought, and Qantas have been told to inspect the cylinders across their fleet of 744's, that one or both of the cylinders or connections ruptured resulting in the damage and subsequent loss of cabin pressure. I've seen a burst disk go on an oxygen cylinder and they certainly go with a bang.

Darren
Yes I saw this also and certainly it could well be a possibility. All very interesting and especially when there has been no loss of life.

Sue
Looks like a bad week for Qantas, There's been another incident, this time involving a 737

The story's available on the ABC website (ABC.net.au) I'm unable to post a link to this story
On a US web site it says the FAA requested a check on ALL 747s weeks ago on the subject of oxygen bottles,seems Qantas might not have done this??.
A lot of conflicting information, misreporting and wild speculation and can be found on the web surrounding this incident. Rather than us become involved in the various theories being spun on the web, some of which are highly libelous, it may be best to wait for the facts to emerge from the investigation.

However, with regard to that FAA directive, some say that it applied to all 747s, including 30 on the Qantas fleet. But according to Qantas and the Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority it only applied to a limited number of aircraft, including 3 on their fleet, and the one involved in this incident was not amongst them ... http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/07/28/asia/qantas.php" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" class="break-word">more info here.

David :wave
Qantas confirms A380 London debut

Qantas has confirmed the start of services by the Airbus A380 superjumbo in the new year.

Flights from Heathrow will start on January 17 to Sydney via Singapore.

The delivery of the airline's third A380 will see Qantas operate three return flights a week with the double deck aircraft.

Qantas will take delivery of a further two A380 aircraft by the end of 2008, and will have eight in service by the end of 2009. Its 20-strong order will be delivered by the end of 2013.

Regional general manager UK, Ireland, Europe, Middle East and Africa, Stephen Thompson, said: "For our customers travelling to both Singapore and beyond to Australia, the A380 means extra space and comfort in every class.

"Qantas offers an all new suite in first class and a fully flat Skybed sleeper seat in business class.

"The aircraft features a 32 seat Premium Economy cabin and an all new the Economy Class seat featuring a sliding base that moves with the seat back to create a more comfortable, ergonomically tested position to aid sleep."

He added: "In addition to giving us the opportunity to reinvent our product, this revolutionary new aircraft offered capacity and operating savings, as well as environmental improvements."

The aircraft will offer passengers more than 100 on demand films, 350 television selections, 500 audio CDs, 30 PC-style games, and a selection of audio books, language tutorials, destination information, business education and radio channels.

With permission from Travelmole
Hi,

I am travelling on QF32 Heathrow - Singapore on Monday and wondered if anyone knew which flight the aircraft operated beforehand?

Qantas have a Hong Kong, Singapore and Bangkok and I would just like a heads up on any potential delay.

Thanks
Jimbob,

The incoming flight to operate QF032 is QF009.

Darren
Qantas raises A380 London flights

Qantas is to introduce more flights between London and Sydney using the 450-seat Airbus A380.

The number of flights served by the four-class super jumbo will be raised to five a week from June 8.

This follows the delivery of the fourth A380 to the Australian carrier in May.

The aircraft will operate from Heathrow to Sydney via Singapore on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

Qantas is scheduled to take delivery of a further four A380s this year as part of a 20-strong order.

Hi there

I have just booked flights with Qantas to Australia from Heathrow using a combination of Qantas flights and British Airways. Does anyone know if the drinks on economy long haul are complimentary :) or do we have to pay for them. :(
many thanks
Loretta
They are complimentary, we travelled with Qantas to Oz and NZ (3 months ago)and they were complimentary even on the internal flights.
Hi Girlingreen

Many thanks for your speedy reply. Thats great news as a couple of drinks on short haul flights are costly and was dreading the thought of buying drinks on board for 23 hours.

thanks

Loretta
Qantas cuts back as downturn hits

Qantas has announced huge cuts to its business in a further sign of the rapidly deteriorating health of the airline industry.

Following a savage revision of its 2008/09 full year profit before tax outlook from around A$500 million to between A$100 million and A$200 million, Qantas is planning to reduce capacity, ground and then sell 10 aircraft, remove 500 management positions, defer aircraft orders, including four Airbus A380s and 12 737-800s, and talk to Boeing about delaying delivery of the 787-800 Deamliner.

Qantas hopes to reduce capital expenditure by at least A$800 million in 2009-2010.

Qantas chief Alan Joyce said that Qantas's international services and Qantas Freight were bearing the brunt of the decline in economic conditions.

There was a lesser impact on Qantas domestic services, while Jetstar, the Qantas Frequent Flyer business and QantasLink were continuing to perform well, he added.

"Market conditions have deteriorated, especially in our international business.

"We are experiencing significantly lower demand, particularly in premium classes, and considerable price pressures with extensive sales and discounting by all carriers - in some cases leading to fare reductions of up to 50 per cent," Joyce said.

"We have no choice but to lower our profit forecast and make major changes to ensure Qantas can weather the current commercial environment."

Joyce said Qantas would not be giving up routes to achieve its cost cuts.

"We have faced accelerated declines in passenger demand and revenue while market competition has intensified.

"Some competitors are reducing capacity, but overall market capacity into Australia has continued to grow despite falling demand," he said.

"Qantas revenues have come under severe pressure, so it would be irresponsible to rely solely on stimulating demand through attractive pricing given the potential for unprecedented reductions in yield."

Overall, up to 1,250 equivalent full-time positions will be affected within the Qantas Group, in addition to the management reductions being made.

"We want to avoid redundancies wherever possible, so we will be trying to use a range of workforce initiatives to manage the downturn such as, annual leave, long service leave, attrition, redeployment, leave without pay, promoting part-time work and exploring job-sharing", Joyce said.

Hi
We are due to fly to Australia for the 1st time next week and I was wondering if anybody knew what meal we will get on the 10.15pm flight from Heathrow to Sydney with a re-fuel @ Bangkok as we have to leave home for our connecting flight at 1.30pm and not sure whether to take sandwiches or buy a hot meal at Heathrow airport as we have a 4hr wait before the Qantas plane departs.

Many thanks

Loretta
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.